Thread: No boot splash when booting from LILO.

Beans

No boot splash when booting from LILO.

Before I give my problem (More like annoyance) out, some info on my system:

My computer is a triple-boot system, with which I use Slackware's LILO as my bootloader to choose between Ubuntu 12.10, Slackware 14 and FreeBSD 9.

(Now, my little annoyance):

When booting Ubuntu under GRUB, Ubuntu's boot splash (which I'm assuming is done with plymouth) pops up just fine after selecting your OS. That's normal. But for some reason I have yet to understand, when I boot Ubuntu from LILO, it doesn't start up plymouth (or whatever the botsplash program is) at all, leaving me to watch all this scrolling text. It's not a big deal since I don't mind scrolling text, but I'd like to have a nice-looking way to start up my OSes.

Does anyone have ideas on fixing this? Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: No boot splash when booting from LILO.

I really do not know lilo, but do you have the quiet splash in the options line for Ubuntu?

http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX
    Note that LILO uses the syntax:
    image = mykernel
    label = mylabel
    append = "myoptions"

... whereas SYSLINUX uses the syntax:
    LABEL mylabel
    KERNEL mykernel
    APPEND myoptions

... grub legacy boot stanza
    title 1 Most Current Ubuntu on sda8
    root (hd0,7)
    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 ro quiet splash
    initrd /initrd.img

... grub2
    menuentry "Daily on sda13" {
    set root=(hd0,13)
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda13 ro quiet splash
    initrd /initrd.img
    }
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

booting UBUNTU from LILO without pain

Quote Originally Posted by E-Rackattack View Post
    Before I give my problem (More like annoyance) out, some info on my system:

My computer is a triple-boot system, with which I use Slackware's LILO as my bootloader to choose between Ubuntu 12.10, Slackware 14 and FreeBSD 9.

(Now, my little annoyance):

When booting Ubuntu under GRUB, Ubuntu's boot splash (which I'm assuming is done with plymouth) pops up just fine after selecting your OS. That's normal. But for some reason I have yet to understand, when I boot Ubuntu from LILO, it doesn't start up plymouth (or whatever the botsplash program is) at all, leaving me to watch all this scrolling text. It's not a big deal since I don't mind scrolling text, but I'd like to have a nice-looking way to start up my OSes.

Does anyone have ideas on fixing this? Thank you!
    I have half a dozen OS and 5 HDs in my old box - I understand what you mean. Ubuntu is tuned to work fine with GRUB, Ubuntu does not like LILO. But LILO is much easier to configure than GRUB or the complicated GRUB2 so I never wanted to deal with GRUB. But Ubuntu 12.x updates always fail when it detects LILO instead of GRUB. I do not care any longer, I use LILO and have a solution in place.

I found 2 ways to start Ubuntu (12.04) with LILO: An easy way and the normal way.

Normal way:
    Tell LILO about the Ubuntu boot files.
    Disadvantage: Your nice "Plymouth" fails, Ubuntu updates can not deal with it and fail, too.

Easy way:
    Put the GRUB boot loader stuff in the MBR of one of your hard disks. Then tell LILO to boot the MBR of that disk just like you start Windows!
    By booting the MBR the GRUB stuff is triggered and GRUB boots Ubuntu. So you boot GRUB using LILO! LILO does boot GRUB without issues.

Result: The "easy" way works perfect - Ubuntu can edit its GRUB with each kernel update. And the user can stick with lovely LILO.

Some lilo.conf snippets:

proven example for normal start:

image=/mnt/UbuntuBoot/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
    initrd=/mnt/UbuntuBoot/boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
    append="root=/dev/sdd2" ## has to use Ubuntus way to label
    root=/dev/sdd2 ## has to use Ubuntus way to label
    label=Ubuntu11 ## the LILO - label

proven example for "easy" start:

# boot GRUB in MBR with LILO
    other=/dev/hdc
    label=GRUB_Ubuntu1204

Examples using LILO 22 under RedHat 7.3
    Last edited by dwilkens; October 25th, 2013 at 08:15 PM.

Beans

Re: No boot splash when booting from LILO.

Best way is to install lilo to mbr and then install grub to to root of its own Ubuntu partition, chainload this with lilo... Here are the details as I used it quite some time ago:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...9/#post3127665

Edit: Obviously hda is gone now...
    Last edited by andrew.46; November 2nd, 2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: hda --> sda now
    You think that's air you're breathing now?