Thread: Cross-compile from Windows to Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Cross-compile from Windows to Ubuntu

I'm using linux for more than 5 years now, most of the time is using Debian, and Ubuntu desktop on my laptop(currently dead) for testing/compiling.

Having a Windows 7 workstation at work and Windows 8 for gaming and development at home, don't have enough disk-space to make a virtual Ubuntu; is it possible to cross-compile and create DEB package from a Windows machine to an Ubuntu server?

Currently, my server on Amazon(AWS) has only 512mb RAM(free-tier) and building the latest Mono Framework(3.0.3) takes more than 2 hours and sometimes it freezes.

I'm still not a hardcore Ubuntu user, so please bear with me. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Cross-compile from Windows to Ubuntu

if you have the money it might be easier to buy another hard drive.
    The you could dual boot or just run Ubuntu in Wubi* or VirtualBox**.

*I don't know anything about Wubi, I have never used it.
    **VirtualBox is easy to use, even I can do it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How did your laptop die? I don't know of a method to cross-compile. Sounds like you need an external disk with an Ubuntu install on it that you can take back and forth. Find another laptop or repair yours. I couldn't go that long without a real linux installation. That's like being on a cruise ship without power. For 6 days. In poop.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    if you have the money it might be easier to buy another hard drive.
    The you could dual boot or just run Ubuntu in Wubi* or VirtualBox**.

*I don't know anything about Wubi, I have never used it.
    **VirtualBox is easy to use, even I can do it
    I did this before, when I still have too much disk space; but as of now I can't and money is a little bit an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    How did your laptop die? I don't know of a method to cross-compile. Sounds like you need an external disk with an Ubuntu install on it that you can take back and forth. Find another laptop or repair yours. I couldn't go that long without a real linux installation. That's like being on a cruise ship without power. For 6 days. In poop.
    Most probably a motherboard issue. It is an old Compaq laptop, and can't spare more resources just for a compiler.

I saw several tools for cross-compiling from Linux to Windows, and thought there's already a way to do the other way around through Cygwin or any similar emulator without consuming too much resources. Having a virtual-Ubuntu server always end up sparing 8GB of precious disk space, purchasing extra HDD is luxury right now because of the price; aftermath of flood somewhere in south-east asia(I think it is Thailand).