Thread: Lost network access

Beans

Question Lost network access

I have ubuntu 12.10, which until today was working correctly. In particular, I could use Firefox to access the Internet (and my mail) through my wireless router.

Today I received a notice advising me that additional software was available. I chose to download the software. At the completion of the download I was asked to reboot the computer, which I did. When the reboot finished, I received the message "Network Disconnected". and I can no longer access the Internet with Firefox.

When I select the "Network" icon, the option "Wireless" has disappeared, I and I can find no way to reconnect via my wireless router.

Can anyone help? Thank you very much.

TCNM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Lost network access

Please explain what you did to

1 - Download

2 - Install

the additional software.

Let us begin there.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans

I clicked "Download" to download the new software.

When the download was complete, I clicked "Reboot now" to reboot the computer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

try:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install aptitude

from the terminal type

sudo aptitude install -f

the

-f

will try to resolve problems. After it runs, if you still are w/o network, re-boot. Let me know. If this solves it, please mark this thread as solved under Thread Tools near top of posting window.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

aptitude -f is not such a good idea right away-- at least, not until we do some tests. Also, aptitude is redundant. Let's try to stick with apt to avoid confusion and system bloat.

@OP

We need much more info about your system. Otherwise, fumbling around in the dark. Were you describing a system update? If your wireless stopped working after an update, it is possible that the update loaded conflicting wireless modules that are now competing for your wireless chip. Please open a terminal using <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<t> and do:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    Code:
    sudo lspci -vk | grep -iA13 net
    Code:
    ifconfig
    Code:
    iwconfig
    Code:
    cat /etc/modules
    Code:
    grep blacklist /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    The output will be considerable, so for easier reading, highlight each set of outputs and wrap it in a "code" box just like I have by using the hash (#) character at the top of the posting box. Please give each output its own hash tags.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yea, follow the Duckster.