Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Opera Is Dead, Desktop Browser Replaced with Chromium, WebKit on Mobile

Beans

Re: Opera Is Dead, Desktop Browser Replaced with Chromium, WebKit on Mobile

Think that's good news, actually. Opera may have a good HTML / Javascript engine but honestly, nobody out on the web cares about Opera, so there are always compatibility issues. Switching to Webkit / V8 will solve these problems once and for all, every website which supports Chrome or Safari (which is about EVERY website) will run in Opera without issues. You might be able to use the Chrome "Pepper" Flash player on Linux (even if you have to extract it from a Chrome installer).

So by switching to a Webkit / V8, Opera will improve in performance and compatibility and at the same time free up developers to create the new innovative features we all love Opera for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Question: Okay, they'll now use WebKit, a rendering engine which is open source... But does this mean that all of Opera will be open sourced? I mean, a browser is more than a renderer, right???
    If they comply to GPL rules, they can't compile render and opera features together. Render and "opera feature" must be separated... yeah, this does mean you can't have the source code of everything "around" the render engine (mouse gesture, irc, torrent etc.) but this is still good becouse:

1. Opera team engine will work on the same project (webkit) that keeps busy both Google and Apple engineers (and many people around the world)
    2. You can alter Opera experience with ton of opensource code (OSS developers have full and complete control to what's showed IN opera)
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

Gah! gutted! operas been my fave browser scince forever! won't feel as special being another chromium face. my anti google / chromium sentiments are kicking in.... Not sure I'll continue using opera if they continue on a chromium path.

Beans

Why is this sad? Most of you won't even notice the difference, and it means that Opera can focus on more distinguishing aspects like the UI.

As long as IE and Firefox exist, we won't be limited to a Webkit world, and even Webkit itself has different versions used by Chrome, Safari et al.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

With the come of html5 make a web render engine it's no longer the same thing you could had be done 10 years ago.
    Today you're supposed to run native html5 application in your browser... it's like run a real-time source code compile and run like Android's Dalvik and not just format your text, place picture or look for plugins.

Opera choice it's the most natural thing to do... currently only Microsoft can afford the money waste with their personalistic closed render engine (they still hope to return monopolist of the web)
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    If it were up to Netscape and Opera, we'd have to buy browsers today.

Nothing is forgotten, good riddance.
    Internet Explorer has always been bundled with Windows. It was not provided for free, in the days when we people paid for things like that. Netscape on the other hand set up Mozilla, which was the start of free browsers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, just downloaded the Webkit-based Opera Beta for Android, and I must say, it's easily the best mobile browser I've ever used. The UI is great, it has some awesome features for sorting bookmarks and a Flipboard-like 'Discover' feature, and the performance is on par is not slightly better than Chrome.

It definitely has me excited to see what their desktop browser will be like, as their previous desktop browser was one of my favourites, but just had some rendering issues and other minor gripes...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The only none-free program i have installed on my ubuntu is OPERA
    It`s fantastic and will be better than before with webkit

Beans

Although I have long used Firefox as my default browser, I have recently encountered problems in using it on a few Websites. As a result, I tried using Opera to interface with such Websites, and I found that Opera handles them just fine. As a result, I may be shifting to using Opera as my default browser.

In particular, two of the Websites that cause me problems in Firefox are: (1) these Ubuntu Forums, which scroll agonizingly slowly in Firefox, but scroll speedily in Opera; and (2) the Website of the Stanford University MOOC in Introduction to Mathematical Thinking, which refuses my password when I submit it in Firefox but accepts it from Opera.

Because of these problems, I cannot help but suspect that Opera clings closer to HTML standards than does Firefox.

For the record, I'm currently using v. 4.0.1 of Firefox and v. 12.14 of Opera.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Red face Re: Opera Is Dead, Desktop Browser Replaced with Chromium, WebKit on Mobile-Not True

Not True
    Opera works on anything!:ma33d:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast