Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opera Is Dead, Desktop Browser Replaced with Chromium, WebKit on Mobile

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Opera Is Dead, Desktop Browser Replaced with Chromium, WebKit on Mobile

Opera isn't dead, Presto is. Yes it's switching to webkit, but that's what Safari and Web (Epiphany) are. Would you call them Chromium? A browser is more than just its rendering engine.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Would you call them Chromium? A browser is more than just its rendering engine.
    Well the article does say they are going to rebrand chromium for the desktop...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sad, but inevitable.
    Browsers have become a commodity - you get them included in an OS, or as a free download. Rendering engines are commodotized as well, in open source.
    To continue competing against that with proprietary code is an enormous, and costly, duplication of effort. Otoh, it makes perfect sense to build upon existing open source engines - the 3rd alternative, making their engine open source in an effort to attract a developer community (as in Netscape -> Firefox), would only work if there's a surplus of interested developers.

By using an open source engine, they benefit from distributed development and they can focus their own development effort on what to lay on top of it. They may be planning to "just rebrand Chrome" to still have a stake in the desktop segment, and have a webkit based mobile Opera as their flagship, or something along those lines.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

why don't they GPL their software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

They should have open-sourced Presto, then get some momentum behind their open source efforts and keep their browser (and Opera branding) distinct from the other big players.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LarsKongo View Post
    Last time I tried Chromium it leaked memory, froze the whole UI, was very buggy, and that was only about a year ago.
    Were you running the Chromium daily or the Alpha/beta?

Chrome has been stable for me and everyone I know since the beginning, I can't think of more stable, more quicker, less buggy piece of software.

In regards to Opera it's sad to see them go, but these days with Chrome being essentially 'the web' and Firefox being great for addons and customisation, and Internet Explorer for people who don't know any better there was never a lot of room for Opera sadly.
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm sure they wont simply slap an icon on chrome and call it a day, I'd imagine they would implement opera's most popular features that made the desktop version stand apart in the new browser (opera mail, speed dial etc...)
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am proudly Opera's user from the version 4.x

I can't define how much it's epic it's this news to me since basically mean that Opera turns Open Source.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    I'm sure they wont simply slap an icon on chrome and call it a day, I'd imagine they would implement opera's most popular features that made the desktop version stand apart in the new browser (opera mail, speed dial etc...)
    That's the only possible way this could make sense. Why would anyone ever care to download Chromium that just has an Opera label on it? The only way it makes sense is if they plan on taking Chromium and adding some of their features to it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I did not use the browser, but it is still sad to hear.

They may still have a future though. They could take webkit and still make a really nice browser that has benefits over Chromium. I find Chromium getting a bit memory hungry, so if they made a browser with essentially the same features and light, that could be quite appealing.

That being said it is going to be hard to compete with Chromium because it already has a huge user base and an insane amount of plugins. They could keep comparability with Chromium, but then you take all the baggage of Chromium, so what is the point.
    Last edited by BrokenKingpin; February 14th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast