Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: two commentaries on Windows 8 - lessons for Ubuntu?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rocky Mountains
    Beans
    191
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    two commentaries on Windows 8 - lessons for Ubuntu?

    I liked Ubuntu 10.04 and like and use Xubuntu 12.04 on an Acer netbook. I also have w7 on HP dv7t and on HP G71. I tried Unity, retreated to gnome-fallback. My Acer 1410 (64 bit, 4g ram; Intel 2 core - SU3500) seemed sluggish, so I retreated further - to Xubuntu, which runs well. I perused each of the following articles and many of the comments.

    Will 90 percent of users always hate Windows 8?
    http://www.zdnet.com/will-90-percent...-8-7000012348/

    Five ways to save Windows 8
    http://www.zdnet.com/five-ways-to-sa...-8-7000012369/

    The articles' authors present at least some points that seem relevant to Unity and to directions for Ubuntu and related but other desktops, relevant also to the range of folks who tried Unity and to their range of reactions.

    Overall, I prefer Ubuntu albeit now Xubuntu for me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Al Ain
    Beans
    8,098

    Re: two commentaries on Windows 8 - lessons for Ubuntu?

    Well, it depends on what you want to use your computer for. If the sole purpose is to run the desktop system just to sit there and look pretty and maybe sometimes edit a plain text document with gedit, then Gnome3 or unity is fine. If however, you want to use your computer to play graphics intensive games, play videos, edit videos, do CAD and other graphics intensive functions, then Gnome3 and Unity are not good, since they tie up the resources of the GPU, which you need to do your work.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: two commentaries on Windows 8 - lessons for Ubuntu?

    Win8 came pre-installed on my touchscreen laptop... and I can see the point of Metro for touchscreen devices. If the laptop had no touchscreen I would absolutely hate it, but with it I am actually sort of liking it. I will probably keep Win8 on until Ubuntu 13.04 comes out, and then wipe it.

    I think they should have had a mode that made metro easier to use with a keyboard and mouse for a pure desktop experience, but I really don't think Win8 is as bad as people are making it out to be.
    Last edited by BrokenKingpin; March 12th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
    Do you folks like coffee?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Neverwhere
    Beans
    19
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: two commentaries on Windows 8 - lessons for Ubuntu?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    Win8 came pre-installed on my touchscreen laptop... and I can see the point of Metro for touchscreen devices. If the laptop had no touchscreen I would absolutely hate it, but with it I am actually sort of liking it. I will probably keep Win8 on until Ubuntu 13.04 comes out, and then wipe it.

    I think they should have had a mode that made metro easier to use with a keyboard and mouse for a pure desktop experience, but I really don't think Win8 is as bad as people are making it out to be.
    I'm running Win 8 with Classic Shell and I couldn't be happier. It removes Metro and gives me all of the improvements to the OS with none of the difficulties. However, I'd much rather be running Linux alone rather than as a dual-boot config. One of these days, I'll make the jump. I've only been saying that for 10 years...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: two commentaries on Windows 8 - lessons for Ubuntu?

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanthePenguin View Post
    I'm running Win 8 with Classic Shell and I couldn't be happier. It removes Metro and gives me all of the improvements to the OS with none of the difficulties. However, I'd much rather be running Linux alone rather than as a dual-boot config. One of these days, I'll make the jump. I've only been saying that for 10 years...
    Yeah, I installed a Start Menu app that skips Metro and boots straight to Desktop Mode. After doing that, I never even touch Metro, and I like Win8 better than Win7.

    Edit: Classic Shell looks pretty nice. I might have to uninstall mine and try that one out.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Beans
    3,421

    Re: two commentaries on Windows 8 - lessons for Ubuntu?

    Quote Originally Posted by aspergerian View Post
    The articles' authors present at least some points that seem relevant to Unity and to directions for Ubuntu and related but other desktops, relevant also to the range of folks who tried Unity and to their range of reactions.

    Overall, I prefer Ubuntu albeit now Xubuntu for me.
    I think Ubuntu can afford to stretch users a bit more; the "don't care" users are in the minority here, IMO.

    Unity does have a discoverability issue; we've used about every DE in my house, and Unity's the only one the kids have trouble with (they have trouble finding programs in the dash). Nothing like Windows 8, though. I'll confess to being a "don't care" user when it comes to Windows -- I only keep it around because I need it to run certain bits of software for work.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •