Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to...pkcs11

Beans

gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to...pkcs11

Hi All

Newbie here!

Just installed Lubuntu 12.10 on an old HP pc and so far I love it!

Had a little problem though and would like to ask for some help... yesterday I couldn't boot so I looked around on line and found a way to repair the fault using the live CD and a command in the terminal which worked and got me back up and running okay except for the fact that I can't seem to run Pan newsreader. When I try to start the program in the Terminal I get this error message:

WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/*/keyring-15CAgg/pkcs11: No such file or directory
    GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name news.pan.NZB was not provided by any .service files
    ERRORan-tree.cc:80:GtkTreeIter PanTreeStore::get_iter(const PanTreeStore::Row*): assertion failed: (row)
    Aborted (core dumped)

I would be very grateful for any suggestions on how to sort this problem out!

TIA

MickW

ps obviously without the smilies!!!
    Last edited by MickW; February 13th, 2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: smiley faces

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to...pkcs11

Quote Originally Posted by MickW View Post
    Hi All

Newbie here!

Just installed Lubuntu 12.10 on an old HP pc and so far I love it!

Had a little problem though and would like to ask for some help... yesterday I couldn't boot so I looked around on line and found a way to repair the fault using the live CD and a command in the terminal which worked and got me back up and running okay except for the fact that I can't seem to run Pan newsreader. When I try to start the program in the Terminal I get this error message:

Code:
    WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/*/keyring-15CAgg/pkcs11: No such file or directory
    GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name news.pan.NZB was not provided by any .service files
    ERROR:pan-tree.cc:80:GtkTreeIter PanTreeStore::get_iter(const PanTreeStore::Row*): assertion failed: (row)
    Aborted (core dumped)
    I would be very grateful for any suggestions on how to sort this problem out!

TIA

MickW

ps obviously without the smilies!!!
    Welcome to the forums. Hope that you will find Lubuntu an enjoyable experience.

Firstly, a helpful observation: by enclosing output in code tags, you make it much easier to read. Just highlight the output and use the code button (hash (#) mark) at top of box. I've done so in my reply and you can see that the output is much easier to parse and the smilies are gone.

Re: gnome-keyring

This is a known and very irritating bug in the default Lubuntu install. I have filed a bug report on it with Launchpad. If you would also file one, the developers may assign it higher fix priority.

The workaround/fix is here.

Beans

xxx
    Last edited by MickW; February 14th, 2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: posted twice!

Beans

Hi DuckHook

Thanks for the posting tips and the link - I am enjoying my Lubuntu experience so far but tbh I am contemplating a move across to Ubuntu as I feel like I might be missing out on a few goodies!

btw how do I file a bug report on Launchpad?!

So I followed the instructions i.e.

1. Do:

sudo apt-get install libpam-gnome-keyring

2. Logout

3. Login

but the expected pop-up for unlocking the default keyring did not materialise and I still can't open Pan. Oddly enough I set up another use profile with administrator privileges and it opens up okay when I log in to that profile?!!

Any other suggestions would be really welcomed

All the best

MickW

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you will be installing another flavour, then it makes no sense trying to fix this one.

Regarding that move: although Ubuntu does indeed have more goodies (I use it myself), it requires a reasonably modern box with much higher minimal HW specs, else you won't enjoy the experience. If your HW is beyond a certain age, it won't even run. Among Linux enthusiasts, the increased power requirements from Lubuntu to Ubuntu is well known. So before installing, you must make sure that your HW can handle it. In terms of practical functionality, Lubuntu is capable of running everything Ubuntu can. What's lacking is the eye-candy like spinning desktop cubes and fading windows--all of which are 3-D special effects. You mention that you are running all of this on an "old HP PC". Without knowing details, it is impossible to tell, but I would recommend a minimum of duo core CPU, 2GB RAM, 3-D video chip with discrete 512 MB Video RAM to run Ubuntu. If your system does not meet these standards, I don't think you will be happy with the performance.

Beans

Well this old machine is nowhere near that spec so I guess I'll stick with Lubuntu for the time being - it is doing everything I need it to do (well it was) so I ain't complaining - just the newsreader issue really!!!

Also doesn't Ubuntu come with freenet already configured and ready to go? That would be the only other thing I would like to get up and running.

MW

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Back to fixing your Pan login, then.

1. Do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install seahorse
    ...to get Seahorse, the wrapper GUI app that manages passwords and keys.

2. Find and open Seahorse. It will not be called Seahorse in your system menu, but "passwords and keys".

3. Under passwords, there should now be two keyrings: one called Login, the other called default. If no default, then we must create one. If exists, then does Pan Newsreader show up on right side pane?

4. If not, File>New> and choose "Stored Password"

5. In resulting dialogue box, make sure Keyring is "default", description is "Pan Newsreader" and Password is your password. Double check and if everything is correct, click "Add".

6. Close all windows. Logout/login.

Post back with results.

Beans

Hi I have the same problem but it show up when i try to start weechat-curses (ncurses IRC client). I have tried all the steps you provided to solve the problem this far but I still get the same error message.

chris@chris-Aspire-5230:~$ weechat-curses
    WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/chris/keyring-Ktb00t/pkcs11: No such file or directory

I have installed libpam-gnome-keyring
    but didn't get any message when I logged in again.

then I tried with installing seahorse.
    when i opened "passwords and keys" I only had the Login key, so i added the default one, sat it to default and added the password and checked unlock at boot, still not working :/

anything more i could try?

/Chris

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cmathisson View Post
    anything more i could try?
    Are you operating weechat in a terminal or under one of the other full ttys?

Beans

Hi DuckHook

Thanks for the message

Just downloaded the Seahorse application but I can't find it anywhere on the system!!!

Sorry am a bit new to this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast