Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installer Freezes Immediately

Beans

Installer Freezes Immediately

I have been trying to install Ubuntu (11.10, 12.04, 32 and 64-bit) on my Macbook Pro for a while, and every version gives me the same problem. I can boot into the CD or DVD just fine, and even run it live, install drivers, etc, just fine. The problem occurs when I try to install. When I hit continue on the first page (language page), it gives me the loading cursor and never gets past that screen. I haven't been able to find this issue online anywhere. Any help?

Macbook Pro 5,4
    Core 2 Duo
    8 GB RAM
    HDD in HDD bay (with my data)
    SSD in Optical bay (with my OS)
    Burning/Booting from USB optical drive

I'm trying to install onto some free space on my HDD.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Installer Freezes Immediately

Hi,
    I can't help you because I have exactly the same problem when trying to install 64bit 12.04 on a macbook pro 5,2. The installation stop on the "prepare to install" page. No debug information from ubiquity. 11.10, 11.04, 10.10 and 10.04 installation work on the same machine
    I try with the alternate CD and let you know...

Beans

Hi,

It's the same problem for me. Installation freezes when I hit the continue button (64bit 12.04). I have a macbook pro 8.1. I boot from a CD because I can't boot from a USB key (With the old version of ubuntu, it was necessary to boot with a USB key and a CD).

Anyone have an idea ?

Ronan

Beans

alternate cd is not a good option. grub-update silently fails and let you with a grub prompt at reboot. I have chrooted with a live CD, reinstall grub and make a grup-update with no luck. It doesn't boot. It stops on a purple screen. I'm burning a 11.10 CD

Beans

Apparently, it's a problem with the 64 bits release. A colleague said to me that he installed with success the 32 bits version on his macbook pro 6.2 (he had the same problem with the 64 bits version).

I think we will have to wait for the next iso .

Ronan
    Last edited by Ronan0912; April 27th, 2012 at 08:41 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan0912 View Post
    Apparently, it's a problem with the 64 bits release. A colleague said to me that he installed with success the 32 bits version on his macbook pro 6.2 (he had the same problem with the 64 bits version).

I think we will have to wait for the next iso .

Ronan
    I can't even get the 32 bit to work... but I might try a couple more.

Beans

Hi there!

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 in my MBP 17'' 64b Intel 2 Core Duo 5,2 Mid 2009 running latest OS X Lion.

I was having the same problem until I found this guide, and this is the closest that describes what I did after a lot of trial and error:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...OSX_and_Ubuntu

If you put in the Ubuntu installation CD, and restart it will do nothing, it just freezes. So what worked for me:

1- put the CD in
    2- restart (press Alt-Option key while restarting)
    3- This is the MOST important bit, you must stop the booting of the CD as described/quoted below and get to the nomodeset install option otherwise you are gonna hang on that black screen forever:

"Booting into Ubuntu this way takes many minutes, including a minutes-long period where Ubuntu appears to have locked up on the boot menu. Most likely it has not. Just wait! note I had to set the boot option to nomodeset. If you press function f6 at the boot options screen you can choose that option. Note 2: I had to press function f6 when I saw a man and keyboard."

HTH,
    Best regards,
    Giovanni
    Last edited by bravegag; April 29th, 2012 at 12:00 AM.

Beans

I had this problem a while ago and for me it had something to do with just using the standard iso image from ubuntu.com/download page (i.e. the one meant for standard Desktop PCs) and not the mac specific image.

Not sure if you are already trying the mac specific version but if not you can find it here for 12.04 - http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/releases/...-amd64+mac.iso

Beans

I tried with the normal and +mac version. In both cases, it freezes after clicking on the "continue" button of the "preparing to install" step.

I also tried what bravegag explained previously. Even with the nomodeset install option the installation stops at the same step.

I don't know what more I can do !

Beans

I remember it worked for me to first do "Try Ubuntu" and once I was in, then I started the installation process. Maybe you can try this as well. Are you sure you set the nomodeset correctly? if you e.g. "Esc" it will discard the setting and continue or restart not sure.

What I can do is repeat step by step what I did and post it here but now is 2am so need to go2bed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast