Thread: Need network help with Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Need network help with Ubuntu 12.10

I have searched the forum and the internet and have not found an answer to my specific problem. I apologize if this is a common question that has been answered already.

Hi, I'm a new (as of a week ago) Ubuntu user. Have played with Linux a tiny bit in the past, but consider me a total newcomer. Please be gentle.

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop. Everything seems really easy to work, except networking. I have a home network with 2 Win7 pcs and a MacBook. I used Samba to set up my Ubuntu box for networking. Here is what I have now.

1. I can access all shared files on the Ubuntu box from both of the Win7 pcs.
    2. I cannot even see the Win7 pcs from the Ubuntu box. I get as far as home/network/windows network/workgroup, but then I get the following message: Unable to mount location. Failed to retrieve share list from server.
    3. I have run smbtree. It shows all of the computers on the network.
    4. I can ping the Win7 pcs. (I haven't tried the MacBook. That's my wife's computer, and she could care less about networking, as long as the internet works.)
    5. I have scoured the internet and tried numerous suggestions, but the result is always the same: Ubuntu box can't see Win7 pcs; Win7 pcs can open shared files in Ubuntu box.

What am I doing wrong/overlooking? File sharing is turned on on the PCs, and they communicate fine with each other. All computers are in the same workgroup and on the same LAN.

HELP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Need network help with Ubuntu 12.10

Are you using a workgroup or a homegroup for file sharing on your Windows machines?

Homegroups will only work with Windows 7 or 8, they aren't compatible with Linux (or earlier versions of Windows).
    Cheesemill

Beans

Addendum:

I started the MacBook and found that I am able to ping the Ubuntu box from the Mac and vice versa. But I still can't see any computers on the network from the Ubuntu box.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Are you using a workgroup or a homegroup for file sharing on your Windows machines?

Homegroups will only work with Windows 7 or 8, they aren't compatible with Linux (or earlier versions of Windows).
    I have a homegroup set up, but I thought I also had a workgroup. Now that I think about it, are they mutually exclusive? I'll check on that. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by punomatic View Post
    I have a homegroup set up, but I thought I also had a workgroup. Now that I think about it, are they mutually exclusive? I'll check on that. Thanks.
    Yes, I have a homegroup set up, but I also have a workgroup. In order to be sure the workgroup was communicating, I started a new workgroup and reset all computers to that workgroup. I ran smbtree and found that all computers show up in the workgroup. Unfortunately, I still can't see any computers in the LULU (my new workgroup name) folder when I access it through network/windows network/workgroup/LULU .

I can get as far as seeing the LULU folder, but when I try to open it, my old friend "Unable to mount location. Failed to retrieve share list from server" shows up. I also learned that the MacBook shows up in the network folder on the Ubuntu box, and I can access the files in the drop box. Am I correct in assuming that the Win7 computers have a switch turned on or off that is preventing them from showing up?

Earlier today, I removed one of the Win7 pcs from the homegroup, but it still didn't show up on the Ubuntu pc. Good thing I love a puzzle!!