Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    29
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Post Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

    Hey Guys.

    It has been awhile since I have done much computer care, almost as long as I been with out Internet(For 6-7 months), so I just now been able to update my computer.

    Though my knowledge of keeping my Windows XP Pro, and Windows Vista Business up and running at their best. I am clueless about keeping my Ubuntu 12.04 Up to speed.

    I currently have and use no tools for working my Ubuntu. While clueless about my common Problems of my common use program:
    *(Skype, GIMP, FireFox, Chrome, The solitaire, and chess games, and RhythemBox) causally going unresponsive, and or crashing.
    *Compix crashing and messing up the computer(For a few seconds before the computer tries to fix itself.).
    *Random 'Black' Screen of death', if I over use the computer with two o more programs at once.
    *GIMP only using two to three colors.

    While my Computer specs are:
    *Ubuntu 12.04 (Unity)
    *PC Year 2004-'05
    *OpenGL Render: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RC410
    *Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz
    *Total Memory: 1,996,000 kb
    *Smart Status: Healthy

    So is there anything I can do to help maintain my Ubuntu, improve, and fix its problems?
    Last edited by Sendo Eevpix; February 14th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    5,003

    Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

    I think Ubuntu is just a little too heavy for your system. I would suggest Xubuntu.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Beans
    88
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

    Just make sure you are fully up to date. Fixes are released almost daily for different parts of Ubuntu. Also I use a tool called Ubuntu Tweek. It has a cleaning utility that keeps my computer as clean as possible.

    Code:
    http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Beans
    88
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

    Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    I think Ubuntu is just a little too heavy for your system. I would suggest Xubuntu.
    this too!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    29
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACubed10 View Post
    Just make sure you are fully up to date. Fixes are released almost daily for different parts of Ubuntu. Also I use a tool called Ubuntu Tweek. It has a cleaning utility that keeps my computer as clean as possible.

    Code:
    http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
    Download the '0.8.3', or the '0.6.0' in the news article?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    29
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

    Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    I think Ubuntu is just a little too heavy for your system. I would suggest Xubuntu.
    A code/command to switch/change to Xubuntu? And safe in transferring files, songs and such?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    52° N 6° E
    Beans
    2,869
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    At login you will be able to choose the xubuntu desktop. No risks involved for your files.
    If you want to remove unity to get a pure xubuntu system, read this: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexubuntu

    I have somewhat similar hardware running xubuntu 12.04. It did work with Unity, although a bit sluggish, but I prefer Xubuntu anyway.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    5,003

    Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sendo Eevpix View Post
    A code/command to switch/change to Xubuntu? And safe in transferring files, songs and such?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    But this will not remove your ubuntu-desktop install. To do that

    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexubuntu

    This is suppose to work just fine, but I recommend to always have backup as per the bold print.

    Edit: Touche Impavidus
    Last edited by ibjsb4; February 12th, 2013 at 09:03 PM.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    29
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    At login you will be able to choose the xubuntu desktop. No risks involved for your files.
    If you want to remove unity to get a pure xubuntu system, read this: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexubuntu

    I have somewhat similar hardware running xubuntu 12.04. It did work with Unity, although a bit sluggish, but I prefer Xubuntu anyway.
    So to get the best of the HP Pavilion, Uninstall Unity, get PurexUbuntu, and also get Ubuntu Tweak to maximize the full use of this computer?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Hills CA
    Beans
    9,126
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

    I would burn a DVD of Linux Mint 14 Mate 32-bit and give it a spin and see how it works on your machine. I find it quite snappy on 2004 vintage Dell 600m with a Celeron M 1.4 GHz and 2GB of RAM, similar to your specs.

    If you decide to install it, back up your personal data on an external drive and do a fresh install. It's risky to overwrite your desktop environment.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

    Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •