Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stackless python - how to install?

Beans

Re: stackless python - how to install?

I'd like to make an update on stackless python on ubuntu.

The guys from Stackless mailing list (especially Bjorn and Phoenix Sol) suggested that: it is a better idea to install stackless in /usr/local/ and leave the ubuntu's default python in /usr/; rename python in /usr/local/bin/ to stackless and symlink site-packages; this way we can call stackless or (default) python at will. (Details are at stackless.com mailing list).

I agree with them that this is a 'smooth' and 'low risk' way to install stackless python on ubuntu. (Thanks again.)

As for those who want to experiment with visual python. Just 'sudo apt-get install python-visual' to install into /usr/lib/python.../site-packages/visual. The symlink above will let stackless import visual and there we have stackless-visual python on ubuntu.

I am experinting with this setup - and will update if there are problems. Thanks for your attention.

Beans

Question Re: stackless python - how to install?

Hey I have been trying to install stackless as well on ibex ubuntu, and seem to be having some problems with the method mentioned above.

I did an altinstall which put stackless /usr/local/lib and bin and symbolically linked the site packages, so I can successfully call python and stackless python seperately ... but i seem to get an issue when I try to import ctypes in stackless: "ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_ctypes.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_FromEncodedObject "

That path /usr/lib/python2.5 suggests to me that the ubuntu regular python and stackless are still intermingled. Any help would be appreciated

With the method above of installing to usr/local/lib, the alt install doesn't place any header files in the include directory in usr/local. Do stackless.h and other header files have to be manually placed in the usr/local/include directory? Thanks for reading and any feeback would be appreciated. I don't really know what I'm doing.

Beans

Well I made progress and solved my problem. The vyper logix blog tells a person what options to pass to configure and how to install.

Problem: I couldn't import anything in to stackless in ubuntu after symbolically linking the site packages. An error about unicode would occur.

Solution: use command ./configure --enable-unicode=ucs4 when creating the makefile. doing this I can import numpy from the regular ubuntu sitepackages
    when doing the installation, use the command sudo make -i altinstall if you are having errors. The -i flag makes make ignore the errors.

Thanks.

Beans

Along with the "./configure --enable-unicode=ucs4" and creating symlinks to the default python packages. You'll probably want to make the changes that match "site-packages" in /usr/lib/python2.6/site.py to /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site.py
    After doing this you should be able to use most modules.

I'd recommend using matching versions of stackless and python, in this case I was using 2.6.4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12