Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Read-only filesystems?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Read-only filesystems?

Perhaps keeping at least 1 system on an LTS release (12.04) would be a good idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

His was actually still on 11.10 when it started after installing some new updates. I do have an older desktop running Xubuntu that I used when they were both (briefly) down

In anycase, I've posted about this on my blog (http://todoentiempo.wordpress.com/20...ly-filesystem/) and have gotten a couple of replies already... so I'm hopeful that I'll get it figured out, eventually
    Last edited by EmilyRose; February 14th, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Education is what is left when you have forgotten all the facts. -Francis Bacon

Beans
    Distro

I'm probably jinxing myself by posting this, but after blogging about it it was suggested that system time might be badly configured. Since running:

sudo ntpdate time.nist.gov us.pool.ntp.org ntp.ubuntu.com north-america.pool.ntp.org pool.ntp.org && sudo hwclock –systohc

everythings been fine... So, if anyone else should stumble upon this post at a future date, barring any further updates, give it a shot
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Beans
    Distro

And... its back. I know I did a rather large update on Sunday night with it reappearing yesterday once, and this morning I've already had to reset 3x.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Have you tried disabling power management on the drive ?

Code:
    sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda
    It may chew up your battery a bit but it may also stop the problems you are having (worth a try).

Run the command at startup for a while and if it works, we can look at making it permanent by editing

Code:
    /etc/hdparm.conf
    Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro

The last time I rebooted I re-ran the instructions for time for the 3rd time (sudo ntpdate time.nist.gov us.pool.ntp.org ntp.ubuntu.com north-america.pool.ntp.org pool.ntp.org && sudo hwclock --systohc) and it hasn't *knock on wood* reoccured since then... This is the most fustrating bug I have encountered on a GNU/Linux system in years. I'm nervous to work on much of anything offline as I don't want to loose work when my harddrive randomly stops saving.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Code:
    sudo ntpdate time.nist.gov us.pool.ntp.org ntp.ubuntu.com  north-america.pool.ntp.org pool.ntp.org && sudo hwclock  --systohc
    If you believe the above command is helping your system then adapt it and add it as a daily cron job.

BTW:

When the filing system has gone read only, if you run this command does it return a date in the future ?

Code:
    sudo dumpe2fs /dev/sda1 | grep -i "last mount time"
    Change sda1 as required.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 6th, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    If you believe the above command is helping your system then adapt it and add it as a daily cron job.
    As it is a laptop I'd rather install anacron. But if it is (semi-)permanently connected to Internet, then ntp daemon will do better job than ntpdate.
    BTW, you can put the time servers into /etc/default/ntpdate, and use ntpdate-debian instead of ntpdate (it comes together with ntpdate in the same package).
    Last edited by schragge; March 6th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12