Thread: 3.5.0-23-generic bug updater

Beans

3.5.0-23-generic bug updater

When I update my linux headers to that version, the software updater suddenly stops and freezes. Therefore, after frocequitting, the update is incomplete but it seems to be impossible to actually complete.

Also, what happens if I download newer kernel headers? Do i get the source or the binaries, or does my OS compile these sources?? please explain..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: 3.5.0-23-generic bug updater

I think this is the third thread you started on this subject. This will make it difficult to get coherent answers.

The kernel headers are just that: headers, made for your kernel version. Your desktop and some drivers depend on them. The actual kernel is in the package linux-image-<some number>. It's a precompiled binary. It's not compiled as part of the installation process.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have merged your other thread with this one (as you had a reply here) and deleted your duplicate post. Please refrain from posting duplicate threads. Thanks.

BB

Beans

Thanks, but please, what does it mean when i install new linux headers?? the source? why did i get a new (incomplete) kernel version?
    The updater is buggy at me. It stops whenever it tries to retrieve a certain linux header. Please help me!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Might help if you could give details of the exact error and the header it is stalling on ...

Take a screenshot if you can or copy/paste the error here.