Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Audio - Intel 6 series/c200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No Audio - Intel 6 series/c200

I have a dell inspiron N4110 with an Intel 6 series/c200 high definition audio controller. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and have no sound from speakers or headphones. Mircophone doesn't work either. This is a common computer, but google didn't show any solutions that I could find. I am not sure what all commands I need to run to help solve the problem, but here is a couple of outputs to get started:

lspci -nn | grep '\[04[80][13]\]'

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 05)

aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

It appears that it is seeing the card, but it is not loading the correct driver module. I haven't checked the HDMI yet. Thought I would get the rest of the sound working first.

If anyone can help, I sure would appreciate it

Beans

Re: No Audio - Intel 6 series/c200

It appears that it is seeing the card, but it is not loading the correct driver module.
    I'm not sure why you would say that. If snd-hda-intel wasn't loaded, you wouldn't have output for aplay -l.
    Anyway.. the first thing I would try is using latest driver: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS
    If that doesn't work, give alsa info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo

Beans
    Distro

Thank you very much for your reply. As you saw in my first post, I don't have a clue how to fix sound.

I downloaded the deb package and installed it, followed by the terminal command and reboot. But I still have no sound or microphone. I uploaded the info to alsa which can be found here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=df...ecfcfefe76eb9a

I thank you for helping me out.

Beans
    Distro

Here is a picture of alsamixer:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Are you sure you got the right .deb package? Your ALSA info still says Driver=1.0.24, when it should be 1.0.25 after installing the alsa/dkms .deb

Beans
    Distro

From the link you gave me, I installed the third one down which is:

dkms-hda - 0.201302121940~precise1

I can try to install again. It appeared to install correctly with software center. I have a normal installation of Ubuntu 12.04 i386, so I didn't think I should install "dkms-hda-lts-quantal - 0.201302121943~precise1" which is the other precise package.

I will install again and report back.

Again, thank you

Beans
    Distro

I reinstalled again only using gdeb instead of software center. gdeb said the package was installed, but I went ahead and installed again. After that I ran the terminal command and rebooted. Still no sound. I ran another alsa report which can be found here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=cd...2af922345ca41a

Beans

For whatever reason, the alsa-dkms package doesn't seem to be taking effect. The next thing I would try is a newer kernel (either using the 3.5 backport from the precise repo or using a LiveUSB of 'buntu 12.10).

Beans
    Distro

Not sure how to do that. I wanted to stay with the LTS version, but do you think the new Ubuntu 13 would fix this ? It would be worth trying the liveCD of Ubuntu 13.

But if I stayed with the LTS, how would I install the backports that you are referring to ?

Beans
    Distro

I booted up on the liveCD for both 12.10 and 13.04. Sound did not work for either out of the box.

I love Ubuntu and really want to get this fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast