Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Libreoffice 4 in software centre?

Beans

Re: No Libreoffice 4 in software centre?

Quote Originally Posted by daithi23 View Post
    Why does it take so long to be added to the software center? GIMP is still on version 2.6 which, according to Wikipedia was released in 2008!
    Why does it take so long for my 2008 Honda Civic to get the new cup holders from the 2013 Civic? Every time I take my car in for an oil change, I wonder, "is today the day they will install the new-style cup holders?" but I am always disappointed when they give me back my car with new oil but the same old cup holders. Doesn't Honda realize I need the new style cup holders? Shouldn't they just give them to me without my needing to ask for them? 5-year-old cup holders simply don't hold cups like they used to; this is 2013!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I know (because I looked before giving bad advice) that the PPA currently has 3.6.4.

https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa

Of course you are correct that there will probably soon be a PPA with 4.0. Give it a few days... we're talking about software that was just released Thursday!
    Now this is my guess, if I were to add the Libreoffice PPA from 13.04 to my non 13.04 version, I should be able to upgrade to the 4.0 version of Libreoffice. Now IF that is the case then I SHOULD be able to do the same thing with other software that I want to have a newer version of but are not in my version of Ubuntu. Assuming that the updated versions are in the 13.04 PPA.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Asatru9 View Post
    Now this is my guess, if I were to add the Libreoffice PPA from 13.04 to my non 13.04 version, I should be able to upgrade to the 4.0 version of Libreoffice. Now IF that is the case then I SHOULD be able to do the same thing with other software that I want to have a newer version of but are not in my version of Ubuntu. Assuming that the updated versions are in the 13.04 PPA.
    Welcome to the forums! I do not recommend ever mixing software sources from a different Ubuntu release. It would be analagous to using parts from a 2013 automobile in a 2012 automobile with different specifications. At best it would work just fine; at worst it will make your system unstable or unusable.

I posted a perfectly safe link where you can download the latest LibreOffice for any Ubuntu release back in my post #2.

However, since you are new to Linux, I recommend trying the "stable, well-tested software through a centralized repository" mindset for a while, rather than the "Windows Way" of downloading individual applications from a variety of different sources. It really is Linux's #1 "killer feature" in my opinion.

Beans

Welcome to the forums! I do not recommend ever mixing software sources from a different Ubuntu release. It would be analagous to using parts from a 2013 automobile in a 2012 automobile with different specifications. At best it would work just fine; at worst it will make your system unstable or unusable.

I posted a perfectly safe link where you can download the latest LibreOffice for any Ubuntu release back in my post #2.

However, since you are new to Linux, I recommend trying the "stable, well-tested software through a centralized repository" mindset for a while, rather than the "Windows Way" of downloading individual applications from a variety of different sources. It really is Linux's #1 "killer feature" in my opinion.
    Thank you

Well, I was wondering if it should work from an experimental standpoint so I could learn if it were possible to do that way. I have installed Libreoffice 4.0 from the .deb package. I don't understand the vehicle analogy (because I see them as a way to get from point A to point B nothing more).

There is very few software that I really want to have the newest major release for so it's worth grabbing the newest major release but regularly yes I don't mind using the software center to get programs and/or updates.

I used Ubuntu a LONG time ago, iirc it was the first release and not for a super long time maybe a few months? I was unable to keep using it for whatever reason I don't remember.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well if you want to install it from .tar here:
    basic thing is you should have build-essential tools install .

and then you have to follow these steps to install.

Code:
    tar -xvf <source.tar>
    cd <source>
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Why does it take so long for my 2008 Honda Civic to get the new cup holders from the 2013 Civic? Every time I take my car in for an oil change, I wonder, "is today the day they will install the new-style cup holders?" but I am always disappointed when they give me back my car with new oil but the same old cup holders. Doesn't Honda realize I need the new style cup holders? Shouldn't they just give them to me without my needing to ask for them? 5-year-old cup holders simply don't hold cups like they used to; this is 2013!
    This is an awful analogy. A graphic editor is by no means equivalent to a "cup holder".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

But is very funny! It is this attitude that is being satirized:

Shouldn't they just give them to me without my needing to ask for them?
    And what if it messes up the OS due to library conflicts? Then, we get Ubuntu broke my computer. I have not forgotten the mess people got into in the old days when they installed newer versions of Openoffice without removing the previous version of Openoffice. Which reminds me,

An update a few days ago on my 13.04 brought in Libreoffice 4 but it was like a first time installation of the program. The Recent Files list was not carried over. Make sure the old version is removed first.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    But is very funny! It is this attitude that is being satirized:
    And yet OP is not complaining about mouse themes... The GIMP is promoted on Ubuntu page itself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lanetherif View Post
    This is an awful analogy. A graphic editor is by no means equivalent to a "cup holder".
    Spoken like someone who's never had a lap full of hot coffee in rush hour traffic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

why on earth would anyone want to drink *hot* anything in a car? skin grafts are way overrated
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast