Thread: new cairo (1.12.10-1ubuntu1) & icon issues

Beans

new cairo (1.12.10-1ubuntu1) & icon issues

Can show up in both unity & gnome-shell though much more common here in Unity.
    Fairly easy to cause, (at least here), took only a few min. on a new current image install.
    Usually comes from using spread multiple times in a session on un-maxed nautilus windows with a key binding, by default super+w will pull all from current ws.

Can be fairly minor or quite extensive, gets worse if using any custom colors, icons ect, or enabling picking from a window group instead of all.
    Attached to top of bug report is a vid showing middle of the road nonsense, attached below is 2 screens from new install, 2 nautilus home folders with a few borked icons in upper window

https://bugs.launchpad.net/libcairo/+bug/1108333
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: new cairo (1.12.10-1ubuntu1) & icon issues

The cairo drawing issues are very often due to graphics drivers incompatibility with cairo rules. I remember much more severe issues a while back with nvidia-current driver.

Are you using nvidia proprietary dirvers?
    Which graphics card model you have?

Beans

This is being seen on a 8400m with nouveau, may try nvidia drivers later to see. (being a aged somewhat crappy laptop adapter it actually works a bit better with nouveau than nvidia drivers unless I force nvidia to always use max perf which is default on nouveau.

The screens & vid are relatively minor, on an install with a modded theme & the 're-enabling' of window picker for window group from all workspaces it gets much worse.

(- I've a new laptop with much better hardware, (nvidia GTX660m) but haven't yet decided how to address the current partitioning. From a multimedia standpoint have no issue with win7 & optimus ect. so don't want to remove it yet or ever.

If it doesn't go away on this laptop will just use the previous cairo for 13.04 unless I find the cause but the upgrade contained a boatload of commits so that may not happen.

Edit: seemingly fixed with new upstream cairo 1.12.12
    Last edited by mc4man; February 10th, 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    This is being seen on a 8400m with nouveau, may try nvidia drivers later to see. (being a aged somewhat crappy laptop adapter it actually works a bit better with nouveau than nvidia drivers unless I force nvidia to always use max perf which is default on nouveau.

The screens & vid are relatively minor, on an install with a modded theme & the 're-enabling' of window picker for window group from all workspaces it gets much worse.

(- I've a new laptop with much better hardware, (nvidia GTX660m) but haven't yet decided how to address the current partitioning. From a multimedia standpoint have no issue with win7 & optimus ect. so don't want to remove it yet or ever.

If it doesn't go away on this laptop will just use the previous cairo for 13.04 unless I find the cause but the upgrade contained a boatload of commits so that may not happen.

Edit: seemingly fixed with new upstream cairo 1.12.12
    There is a new upstream verion available in RR now.
    cairo (1.12.14-0ubuntu1) raring; urgency=low * New upstream version, fix rendering issue introduced in previous versions (lp: #1119304)