Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grub2 - background picture

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub2 - background picture

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Or, saving an image with the .jpg extension does not in fact save the file as a jpeg compressed image, whereas, exporting the image as jpg file does compress it as a jpeg file?
    I'd bet on that that You might be very true on this... Been there, seen that... Not with Grub, of course...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Grub2 - background picture

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I wonder. Could it be that Grub has a very specific definition of what is a jpeg compressed image, whereas, the specification has been broadened out?

Or, saving an image with the .jpg extension does not in fact save the file as a jpeg compressed image, whereas, exporting the image as jpg file does compress it as a jpeg file?

Regards.
    I have no idea. I do know that this has happened to me since Lucid Lynx 10.04 with Grub 1.98.
    Sometimes it happens and sometimes it does not. I usually use a .jpg file as that is usually what I have available.
    But, as Cariboo907 stated, any picture file should work.
    Using custom font colors in 05_debian_theme is dependant on a picture (one of the types mentioned by Cariboo907) being in /boot/grub/.
    Line 108 of 05_debian_theme tests if there is a picture and if there is font colors present after line 108, they will show at boot time.

So basically if the output of sudo update grub displays the picture name and the custom font colors show at boot time, the picture should also appear.

Likewise if you have custom font colors after line 108 in 05_debian_theme and no picture in /boot/grub/, the custom font colors should not show at boot time.

The custom font colors are mentioned in section 4.2 of the green community wiki link in my signature.

Also, keep in mind that if you change pictures, you must remove the other as it looks for the 1st one it finds and goes with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12