Thread: Documents files lost after an update

Beans

Lightbulb Documents files lost after an update

Good day! My files in Documents and Downloads folders have been lost after doing ubuntu update. I am using ubuntu 12.10. How to recover back my lost files. And my desktop icons disappeared also. Any help is very much appreciated.

Beans

Re: Documents files lost after an update

Obviously, that shouldn't have happened. You say you did an update. Are you sure, or did you 'upgrade' your Ubuntu by installing the newer version from a LiveUSB/DVD? If that is the case, and you told the installer to format your /home partition, then your stuff is toast.

Beans

Sorry I forgot to tell. After an update, I restarted my computer. When logged in, ubuntu prompt to do a partial upgrade. after successfully doing the partial upgrade and restarted my computer, the file on Documents folder disappeared. Is partial upgrade overwritten my existing settings?

Beans

We still need to know (you haven't actually said) what your mean by 'update'. You are now running 12.10. Were you running 12.04 before this 'update'? How did you update?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you did the upgrade while running Ubuntu from the Hard Drive, then your partition couldn't have been reformatted.

Open a terminal (by hitting Ctrl+Alt+T), enter the following commands one-at-a-time, hitting enter after each one.

Code:
    ls -al | grep *ocumen*
    ls -al | grep *eskto*
    ls -al | grep *ownlo*
    Post the results of each.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!