Thread: apache2 chokes on folder named 'icons'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

apache2 chokes on folder named 'icons'

Just finished my first website move from IIS on Windows to Apache on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server. It went quite smoothly, but there was one "gotcha":

The site had a directory named 'icons' that contained a bunch of .bmp files. On the old server (IIS) a link like...

http://sitename/icons/foo.bmp

...would retrieve the file. On the new Ubuntu server (Apache) the same link produced a "File not found" error.

After checking for mismatched case and verifying that .bmp had a registered MIME type I decided to enable directory listing on the 'icons' folder, but no matter what I did Apache always gave me a "Forbidden" error.

Finally, after verifying that I could browse a folder named 'stuff' I renamed the 'icons' folder to 'icon_files' and my problems went away.

So, could someone please give me a hint as to why a folder named 'icons' is (apparently) evil? This is a straight-up 12.04 Server install with LAMP as configured by `tasksel`.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: apache2 chokes on folder named 'icons'

I am not an expert, but I think that the "icons" directory, by default, is a reserved alias to "/usr/share/apache2/icons/". See "/etc/apache2/mods-available/alias.conf", where is says you can comment it out if you want.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: apache2 chokes on folder named 'icons'

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    I am not an expert, but I think that the "icons" directory, by default, is a reserved alias to "/usr/share/apache2/icons/". See "/etc/apache2/mods-available/alias.conf", where is says you can comment it out if you want.

Hope this helps.
    Aha! It certainly does help. Thanks, Doug!

For the record, I just confirmed that /icons causes problems when that alias is enabled, but /foo/icons works okay....