Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Office 2007 (Wine) error - Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Microsoft Office 2007 (Wine) error - Ubuntu 12.04

Office 2010 seems to work fine in wine for me.

2007 worked fine too, but it has been a while since I used it.
    (There could be new problems that werent there when I used it)

Honestly, I do not think there is anything wrong with Libre, or Open Office.

The only flaw, is that not everyone uses them.

So formatting, margins, etc are always messed up when a libre document is opened with MS Office.

However, I have the exact same problem when creating something in the Mac version of MS Office, and opening in Windows.
    Also different releases (Opening an office 2007 file in Office 2010) and so on, and so forth.

I think that we should erase all traces of Microsoft Office, since Libre and Open are the only Office programs that are available on all 3 major platforms.

If everyone picked 1, the world would be a better place.
    And we can't all pick MS, since they do not make a Linux version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbanakis View Post
    If everyone picked 1, the world would be a better place.
    And we can't all pick MS, since they do not make a Linux version.
    You're presuming that everyone trying to run Office in Wine actually has a choice regarding what to pick -- which is not necessarily true.

Some folks are just trying to use Office in Linux because they're used to it and don't want to learn new tools. THEY have a choice.

Others have been send Office documents by other people and HAVE to use Office on those documents.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    You're presuming that everyone trying to run Office in Wine actually has a choice regarding what to pick -- which is not necessarily true.

Some folks are just trying to use Office in Linux because they're used to it and don't want to learn new tools. THEY have a choice.

Others have been send Office documents by other people and HAVE to use Office on those documents.
    I think you missed my point.

If everyone used Libre, how would someone send you an office document?

And how would you not be use to the tools, if thats all you ever used?

My point was that the only flaw with libre or open, is that sometimes you get an office file, and maybe your used to office.

I think you agreed with me without knowing it.

If MS Office was removed from existance, after a couple years, no one would miss it, and the world would be a better place.
    Nothing about it is noticably better. You just want it, so you can open the file made by someone else you uses it.
    Or maybe your used to it.

None of that makes it better.

Its sorta like those people who buy an inferrior gaming console, and you ask them why they bought it, and they say "So I can play such and such proprietary exclusive game".
    (If that game was available on all consoles, you probably would not have bought that one)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by LifeEnemy View Post
    Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with my office programs. I installed M$ office with WINE about a month ago (the open-source alternatives don't work well enough for me). It worked fine for a while, but recently started crashing. First, it was powerpoint (which I rarely use), but not Excel crashes too. The program just darkens after it opens, then crashes. The error report is below. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

[...]

Here's a list of my libraries in wine. I remember having difficulty with one during setup. Not sure if it's relevant:

*msxml 6 (native
    riched20 (native)

That's all, just those two. Is that sufficient? How do I get more if needed?

Thanks again for reading.
    maybe you have figured out the trouble up to now yourself, yet I will add some hints to your problem:
    1) some times installing power point (which causes most of the trouble in whine) does not work out of the box and you should be patient and redo the installation.
    2) even if it is working nicely, for some reason might stop working. Some times you have to wipe the entire wine installation to make it working again, so using different bottles and crossover for that reason might be a better solution, not that it happens all the time though.
    3) using winetricks you might have to override some libraries from winecfg (riched20 is one of them-take a look here) in order to make power point work well. So, your installation might be ok, yet you might need to do this configuration in order to make it work fine.
    4) updates might have caused your trouble. I think that from time to time you have to update your hidden wine folder (erase it completely and then wait to be created again next time you pick up a wine executable). Link: here.

Hope it helped,
    Regards!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12