Thread: Office (not asking for help)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Office (not asking for help)

I am in college right now and I found out that as of microsoft 2010 they now open .odt files albeit with a ton of warnings that my teachers have to click passed, like 5 of them. So I was looking to see if there were any actual issues of not with microsoft opening .odt files or if it was crap to scare people like it usually is.

Here is something I came across in my search:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...010355788.aspx

and I feel the need to post here that a lot of times when it says unsupported, Libreoffice does have the feature, most likely openoffice as well. Actually in many cases the opensource office has had the feature first microsoft just picked to implement it differently to create incompatibility issues for those using the opensourced offices. If this is in the wrong place I am sorry, please move it top the correct place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Office (not asking for help)

the new Libre Office 4 looks good in compitability .... I think if u will give it to someone with MS office u should save it as a PDF or DOC
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Office (not asking for help)

Quote Originally Posted by elliotn View Post
    the new Libre Office 4 looks good in compitability .... I think if u will give it to someone with MS office u should save it as a PDF or DOC
    +1
    Yes, it causes less confusion.

- If the file needs no editing: send it in pdf format
    - If the file needs editing: send it in doc format

But I'm glad to read that Microsoft's products can read odt files nowadays, because it is easy to forget to convert the file format.