Thread: "Please remove installation media and close tray then press Enter"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question "Please remove installation media and close tray then press Enter"

After my recent install of Precise Pangolin on my Mac, I came to a black screen that has the usual "Asking all remaining processes to terminate" code. However, at the center of the screen, there's the five dots that cycle between orange and white. Under that, there's a message that says "Please remove installation media and close the tray (if any) then press Enter." Pretty simple. However, when I take my install CD out and press Enter (I don't have a tray), nothing happens. It didn't freeze, because the dots are still going through their cycle. I have the Apple wireless keyboard, but I paired it successfully early in the install. I don't want to restart because of fear that my OS X, Windows, and Ubuntu installs would go haywire. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: "Please remove installation media and close tray then press Enter"

Quote Originally Posted by iPadFanboy View Post
    After my recent install of Precise Pangolin on my Mac, I came to a black screen that has the usual "Asking all remaining processes to terminate" code. However, at the center of the screen, there's the five dots that cycle between orange and white. Under that, there's a message that says "Please remove installation media and close the tray (if any) then press Enter." Pretty simple. However, when I take my install CD out and press Enter (I don't have a tray), nothing happens. It didn't freeze, because the dots are still going through their cycle. I have the Apple wireless keyboard, but I paired it successfully early in the install. I don't want to restart because of fear that my OS X, Windows, and Ubuntu installs would go haywire. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    If it does not restart automatically after removing the boot media then you will have to restart manually. There is no other option.

Sometimes it can take a while for a machine to reboot automatically after an install, are you waiting long enough?
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just manually reboot it (off switch)- doesn't seem to harm it in my experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have experienced this issue earlier. That time I hard reset the computer. Afterwards it worked fine. Its after completing the whole installation that it asks for removing the disk. So wont do any harm.

Beans

I had the same problem and it's not the cd...I tried with several versions, usb, etc. In my case it was that I was trying to install ubuntu in a partition I made in Windows...somehow I didn't do it right. I remove that partition and install it without trouble. I recommend to do that, remove partitions and allow ubuntu do it's own partition in the moment of installation. Adriana.