Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Is there an Advanced System Care for Ubuntu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    94
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Is there an Advanced System Care for Ubuntu

    Hi,
    Just wondering if there is an Advanced System Care like program for Ubuntu like there is in Windows, or if an ASC is even needed for Ubuntu.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Is there an Advanced System Care for Ubuntu

    I don't know ASC for Windows, but there is Ubuntu Tweak, that you can install according to the following link

    http://ubuntu-tweak.com/downloads/

    I suggest you add the source 'tualatrix' the easy way.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
    Then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
    And you have Ubuntu Tweak

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    12,105

    Re: Is there an Advanced System Care for Ubuntu

    Not all of us are familiar with Windows, so please explains what "ASC" does...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    10,892
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Is there an Advanced System Care for Ubuntu

    Looks like he is talking about this.

    There is no such beast that I know of in the Linux menagerie. The Unix philosophy is lots of individual specialized programs rather than large integrated ones. There also isn't anything like a registry to clean, and malware is a minor issue for most users, especially desktop users. You can still encounter things like Javascripts with evil intent, but if you are concerned about those sorts of threats you're better off with browser plugins like NoScript and FlashBlock.

    You might want to read the security "sticky".
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

    Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    94
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Is there an Advanced System Care for Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I don't know ASC for Windows, but there is Ubuntu Tweak, that you can install according to the following link

    http://ubuntu-tweak.com/downloads/

    I suggest you add the source 'tualatrix' the easy way.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
    Then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
    And you have Ubuntu Tweak
    Thank you. I will definitely play around with that!


    Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Not all of us are familiar with Windows, so please explains what "ASC" does...
    Sorry about that, I'm newish to it so I didn't think about explaining what it does, it is the program that SeijiSensei link off to.

    Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Looks like he is talking about this.

    There is no such beast that I know of in the Linux menagerie. The Unix philosophy is lots of individual specialized programs rather than large integrated ones. There also isn't anything like a registry to clean, and malware is a minor issue for most users, especially desktop users. You can still encounter things like Javascripts with evil intent, but if you are concerned about those sorts of threats you're better off with browser plugins like NoScript and FlashBlock.

    You might want to read the security "sticky".
    I didn't think there would be anything like it for Ubuntu, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

    Thanks for your help

  6. #6
    ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    5,003

    Re: Is there an Advanced System Care for Ubuntu

    There is also BleachBit, its in the software center.

    http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Magic City of the Plains
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

    Re: Is there an Advanced System Care for Ubuntu

    I've read a bit of the page linked to (http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html); some of it is very vague, i.e. "Optimizes, cleans, and fixes all kinds of PC problems with just 1 click" and "giving your computer a boost to optimize your PC experience." I would say running Linux in itself is a "boost", for what it's worth.

    If you choose to run one of the Linux "cleaners" such as Computer Janitor or Bleachbit, make sure you know exactly what you're deleting or "cleaning"; there's no shame in asking first if you aren't sure.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Wilds of Oregon
    Beans
    58
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Is there an Advanced System Care for Ubuntu

    Also, if the forums will permit a little sacrilege, ASC on Windows is a bit jenky... Try Ccleaner... I found it to be lighter and less buggy than ASC when I was still using Winduhs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    94
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Is there an Advanced System Care for Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    I've read a bit of the page linked to (http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html); some of it is very vague, i.e. "Optimizes, cleans, and fixes all kinds of PC problems with just 1 click" and "giving your computer a boost to optimize your PC experience." I would say running Linux in itself is a "boost", for what it's worth.

    If you choose to run one of the Linux "cleaners" such as Computer Janitor or Bleachbit, make sure you know exactly what you're deleting or "cleaning"; there's no shame in asking first if you aren't sure.
    I completely agree that Linux is a boost! I probably will end up asking what needs the upkeep.
    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    There is also BleachBit, its in the software center.

    http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
    I found it in the software center.
    Thank you very much!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    15,821
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Is there an Advanced System Care for Ubuntu

    Please know that if you just let bleachbit remove things it recommends it will most likely remove applications that you need, I used it not knowing and it broke my system so it will definitely remove things you need.

    It is best to use the auto remove command.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •