Thread: Does anyone have a MEENEE laptop?

Beans

Does anyone have a MEENEE laptop?

Hi

this is my first time buying a computer with Ubuntu preinstalled.
    I recently got a job and they offered to buy me a laptop.

The only laptops that are in the uk (using ebay) that I find are MeeNee laptops.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Core-...item4d06adb94a

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Core-...item4d06adbeb2

Does anyone have any experience with these laptops?

These are what I hope too use:
    - Private LAMP setup
    - programming in java
    - web browsing (maybe 20 tabs open at any one time)
    - gimp
    - possibly blender (is the gpu rubbish in this laptop?)

also what is the temperature and battery like after a full working days use?

thank you in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Does anyone have a MEENEE laptop?

Do you have to use eBay?

Both of those machines that you linked to are netbooks rather than laptops, I wouldn't want to use one for proper work because of the low powered Atom processors and small screen and keyboard. They simply don't have the horsepower for the type of work you will be doing.

System76 ship to the UK.

You also have the option of using one of the main highstreet retailers (such as PC World) and installing Ubuntu yourself.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; February 9th, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
    Cheesemill

Beans

No I don't have to.

thanks for reply

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    System76 ship to the UK.
    Too far out of price range.

I am aiming for £200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You won't be able to get a proper laptop for that sort of money, so it looks like you will have to go for a netbook.

If you could push your budget to £300 then you could get a machine with a decent size screen that has double the RAM and processing power.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    You won't be able to get a proper laptop for that sort of money, so it looks like you will have to go for a netbook.

If you could push your budget to £300 then you could get a machine with a decent size screen that has double the RAM and processing power.
    the ram is fine, I am just asking for general quality of the laptop.

If it preforms well for the specs then its great. i do not need to do massive compile jobs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I heard that if you went into say PC World & wanted to buy a laptop preloaded with *******, you can ask them to remove ******* & they have to wipe quite a bit off the price.

So you might be able to get a decent one for £200 & then install Ubuntu yourself.

Might be worth looking into.

Beans

Reviving this thread as a meenee user, recently re-enthused by excellent post-sales customer service
    I had given it a five star review on eBay, which might be part of the reason why meenee were happy to honour the warranty when one of the hinges started breaking. The build quality of the 13" laptop I got off eBay for £160 in January was poor, but what d'you expect for so cheap? Nothing about this laptop is premium, but what do you expect for £255 (current eBay price)? Well, I did not expect it to start falling apart quite so soon, but meenee readily agreed to fix it. In fact they have returned a new, superior machine with my old hard drive in it. So, I recommend meenees for round the house. But it is a bit flimsy and its battery life is poor, rarely better than one hour, so it won't travel well. For a sturdy machine, I hear Lenovo is the brand to go for.