Thread: Netgear Wireless USB Adapter

Hybrid View

Beans

Netgear Wireless USB Adapter

Hello, before I ask you for the main help, I'll give you some background on why I need it.

So today I installed a theme package for windows xp and as they say, **** happens. So alot of things in my windows folder was deleted because I didn't read that it wasn't for xpsp3. and now I can't open explorer.exe.

So I said screw windows, and am currently downloading Ubuntu 12.04(Used Ubuntu before, it's awesome.)

So remembering that the capability of me browsing files is limited to the windows command line and Task Manager. I am not even going to try to repair my windows installation as I am sick of this windows BS.

So now I will lead on with the main problem:

I have read that people have problems with Netgear wireless adapters in Ubuntu. And I read around but I can't use the internet once I am in Ubuntu because I do not have any wired connection. I Believe my USB Wireless adapter is a Netgear WNA1100. Just to remind you I have limited file browsing capabilities.

So now for the questions.

1.) Once I get ubuntu on my flash drive and merge my disc drive back together, Can you Give me links to the files and programs needed to use my wireless adapter in ubuntu(I need to download them now before I do the install.)

2.) Can you give me instructions on how to install them once I have obtained the files, and have ubuntu installed.(Also when I have extra space on the flash drive after I install ubuntu can I place the wireless adapter files onto the flash drive for transfer? EDIT LOOK AT BOTTOM)

Remember once I install ubuntu 12.04 there is no more accessing the internet until the wireless USB adapter is installed so I need exact instructions if possible.

Thank you in advance and if you need more information I will be more that thankful to provide it to you.

- Sincerly OP

EDIT: Like after ubuntu is on the flash drive can I place the files onto them?
    Last edited by Havixil; February 9th, 2013 at 06:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Netgear Wireless USB Adapter

I did a quick Google and the results don't look promising.

However, I wouldn't hinge my life and happiness on some cruddy USB wireless device. You can buy one that works for less than $10
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

We are getting 12 inches of snow here, we are already up to 4, stores will be closed and I don't get paid for another week anyway.
    Please I other places I can't understand how to do this. I have something called bcmwl-kernal-source downloaded already, but I don't know where to go from there. I will do whatever it takes .

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Havixil View Post
    We are getting 12 inches of snow here, we are already up to 4, stores will be closed and I don't get paid for another week anyway.
    Please I other places I can't understand how to do this. I have something called bcmwl-kernal-source downloaded already, but I don't know where to go from there. I will do whatever it takes .
    I know about the snow. And it suggest to me that you might have more pressing matters to attend to than wireless USB devices.

You know you can run Ubuntu Live from the CD or USB? If your device doesn't work there, it still may work with the correct firmware.

I am not familiar with the device you have but the BCMWL you mention is for broadcom devices, of which there are many... and they often use different firmware to make them work.

You say you used Ubuntu before.. Good.
    What hardware/machine etc... are you using?
    So far all I really know is you are up to your armpits in white stuff, have a borked windows machine and want to install Ubuntu
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

I have a
    pre-built dell Gateway
    3Ghz Dualcore Intel Pentium with HT.
    3GB Ram
    winxp pro sp3

I also read something about netgear adapters using broadcam, I can't confirm though.

I just really want to get this stuff working because this snow sucks and my job sucks and this world sucks.

EDIT: Ubuntu 12.04 is ready on the USB Drive. I might boot from the USB in a little while and screw around with it but idk yet. I also found this: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...u-10-10-a.html
    Care to dumb it down for me?
    Last edited by Havixil; February 9th, 2013 at 06:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro

So can you boot from the USB to the Live Desktop
    During boot you should see an option to Try Ubuntu

If you can, get there
    Open a terminal and post for us

Code:
    lsusb -v
    You need the wireless device connected when doing this.
    You may need to save the results from the terminal to a flash drive to somehow post it here
    Ubuntu 18.04