Thread: Updated to Raring

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Updated to Raring

I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to the development release. On the first attempt the do-release-upgrade -d script wanted to remove a whole heap of stuff so I aborted the upgrade and tried again a few hours later. On the second attempt the summary of what it was going to looked much more sensible so I let it proceed. The process went through smoothly and here I am using Ubuntu 13.04 dev release.

Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=13.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=raring
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu Raring Ringtail (development branch)"

Not much to report at this point as everything seems to be working fine. One thing I did wonder about is the state of the NVIDIA drivers. I notice software sources still lists six of them plus nouveau. Under 12.10 I was using the one labelled "Experimental (310)" as that was the only one that seemed to work properly. I hope this gets tidied up by the time rr is released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Updated to Raring

There is nothing the Ubuntu devs can do about Nvidia drivers. What you see is an improvement made by the Ubuntu devs to give us more choice because of the state of Nvidia drivers.

I have found Nouveau to be acceptable although at the moment I am running Nvidia (proprietary tested). I wanted to experiment to see if I could get a working Nvidia driver.

I never tick Third Party Software when doing an install of Ubuntu. That way I do not get a broken OS on re-boot because a buggy Nvidia driver was installed as part of third party software. Nouveau always gets me to a desktop. I always install Restricted Extras after installation and likewise activate (if I feel like it) the Nvidia driver. I have learned from past errors.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I never tick Third Party Software when doing an install of Ubuntu. That way I do not get a broken OS on re-boot because a buggy Nvidia driver was installed as part of third party software.
    Thanks! I don't have Nvida but I think I will un-tick the Third Party Software anyway. If it can cause problems in one instance then it can be a problem for me. I don't consider myself a serious tester.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,

Thanks! I don't have Nvida but I think I will un-tick the Third Party Software anyway. If it can cause problems in one instance then it can be a problem for me. I don't consider myself a serious tester.
    The downside is that you will lose performance. The proprietary graphics drivers for Nvidia and AMD cards definitely give better performance.