Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Busy testing week ahead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Busy testing week ahead

How do you put a QA tag on bugs that aren't in the prescribed list?
    We cannot report a test failure on the QA tracker without including a Launchpad bug number. The system will not let you submit. We can submit our own bur report in Launchpad or search for a previous report of the bug and included that number in the QA tracker failed test result. This will put a 'reported on the QA tracker' tag on the bug.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    The "28 new bugs" effect more than just Precise, but it's aggravating when a bug like that persists

Given the fact that the package name is 'friendly-recovery' they should at least consider a name change
    Bwahahaha! First LoL_of_the_day.

Thanks, for that!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    We cannot report a test failure on the QA tracker without including a Launchpad bug number. The system will not let you submit. We can submit our own bur report in Launchpad or search for a previous report of the bug and included that number in the QA tracker failed test result. This will put a 'reported on the QA tracker' tag on the bug.

Regards.
    I think he was talking about test-cases that truly don't exist, but I'm not sure.

There are corner issues that are hard to find a valid reason for reporting on the QA Tracker but I can assure you that Nicholas is trying his best to get things fixed in QA.

As part of my testing I've installed 10.04.4 three times to perform upgrade tests and trust me ............... that was NO picnic!

There have been both improvements and regressions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post

There are corner issues that are hard to find a valid reason for reporting on the QA Tracker but I can assure you that Nicholas is trying his best to get things fixed in QA.
    Don't think it's only "corner" cases, many of the tests are so basic that they don't fail & don't always represent current state of an app.
    (current ex. is the nautilus tests - was able to fail nautilus on 2 tests by lightly re-interpreting the tests while I believe staying within bounds.

There is a 3rd fail but won't report as it strays too far, - the search test.
    (the truth is that search in nautilus is bad, but the test only looks at finding a file/folder in current dir. If the testcase searched for the file inside the 'test' folder, (moveme.txt), it would fail.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Don't think it's only "corner" cases, many of the tests are so basic that they don't fail & don't always represent current state of an app.
    (current ex. is the nautilus tests - was able to fail nautilus on 2 tests by lightly re-interpreting the tests while I believe staying within bounds.

(the truth is that search in nautilus is bad, but the test only looks at finding a file/folder in current dir. If the testcase searched for the file inside the 'test' folder, (moveme.txt), it would fail.
    You're right ...... some test reporting is either non-existent, redundant, or inadequate. But I read enough of the QA posts on my Lubuntu QA mailing list that I know work is in progress

Beans

I just thought to add that most (or all) of the iso-tests include a bug reporting link for the specific test case:

testcase_bug.png

I haven't looked at the individual app testcases because I'm usually just busy with ubiquity

But I wonder if there is a testcase for 'friendly-recovery'

Beans

I see this AM that some of the 12.04.2 images are already being updated, but still no upgrade testing. So things are definitely still in progress

Beans

Proof that communication does work

I sent a PM to Nicholas and quickly got a reply:

No, your not being impatient -- looks like these were not automatically
    added I'll get them on the tracker and ping you when ready. Thanks
    Lance!

Nicholas

On 02/11/2013 02:16 PM, Lance wrote:
    > Sorry to be a nuisance but I've been doing some 12.04.2 iso testing and I'm a bit concerned about the lack of Lucid-->Precise and Oneiric-->Precise upgrade test-cases.
    >
    > Maybe I'm just being impatient but I wanted to check with you to be sure it wasn't overlooked. I'm prepped and ready to run both tests when they pop up on the tracker.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Lance

Beans

mc4man, I saw your bug reports and test results. First, thanks for testing! It's obvious you are thorough and you write good bugs.

Second, I agree with you on the testcases. If you were able to see my livestream of cadence testing today I went through the same nautilus cases. The video didn't come out so high-res, but you might enjoy hearing my thoughts while I test anyway. Here's a link to it.

At several points I went "further" than the test called for and explored and tested the features. That's part of testing. But, that said, I want you to know you can report bugs against the testcases, and even go further by helping to write/update them. So all those "extra steps" we take and explore can be rolled back into the testcase. Check these links out:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Contr...stcases/Manual
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual-tests

Indeed, I filed this against the nautilus testcase today after running through it. It was just updated by another community member to bring it inline with many of the changes from the old test. It's already SO much better, and we can take it further. Lets iterate together on this stuff!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guitara View Post

Indeed, I filed this against the nautilus testcase today after running through it. It was just updated by another community member to bring it inline with many of the changes from the old test. It's already SO much better, and we can take it further. Lets iterate together on this stuff!
    I did notice that (black vs. blank), but didn't what to seem too picky by mentioning.
    The other thing I noticed was the nautilus testcase on creating a empty docu -
    In Home folder right click on a blank section and select Create Document, Empty Document. Name the resulting file 'moveme.txt'
    Again a very minor issue but the context menu item is "New Document", not "Create Document"
    So that leads to wondering if those writing the tests are actually using what is being tested? (in this case 13.04/nautilus-3.6.3

As far as nautilus most of these type bugs will end up as "wishlists" other than focus issues which may or may not get fixed

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast