Thread: Font Display Artifacts

Beans

Question Font Display Artifacts

I have tried to search this problem and see lots of confusing and conflicting answers.
    Xubuntu, all updates installed, ASUS EEE PC900 netbook, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD, Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller, Celeron 900MHz. This netbook barely ran with WinXP, but thrives with Lubuntu.

Problem: Certain letters or characters of a font will have horizontal lines through them (pixels missing). It may be one or more characters, but the same one(s) through the page, like all the "U"s or all the "&"s. It will vary from font style and size each time I boot. It can appear in Firefox or Thunderbird, or on the desktop and menu fonts. Logging out and back in will fix a particular problem, but another may occur. It's totally random, but happens about 90% of the time.

Is there any definitive answer? It's quite annoying. (Never had problem with XP, and don't see this issue on my desktop Lubuntu PC.)
    Last edited by oldflyer; February 9th, 2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Sorry: hit wrong option. I run Xubuntu, not Lubuntu

Beans

Re: Font Display Artifacts

Sounds like a graphic card driver problem, i suggest trying the vesa driver, and eventually find an updated driver for the Intel card.

Beans

Re: Font Display Artifacts

Quote Originally Posted by papalagi View Post
    Sounds like a graphic card driver problem, i suggest trying the vesa driver, and eventually find an updated driver for the Intel card.
    Likely, I suppose. I forgot to mention that I have tried three other Linux distros on this eeePC with the same font atrifacts showing up. I don't know how to change the drivers in Xubuntu, so I'll have to do some research