Thread: NFS share content not loading properly

Beans

NFS share content not loading properly

Hi.

To put it simply, I've got a filearchive that runs Ubuntu 10.04 with NFS for sharing its content. Now, since day one I've been having issues accessing the content properly (an issue that's been present regardless of trying to access it through Ubuntu or Windows) as they don't "load" properly. Files and directories tend to show as links rather than what they actually are, and the directory needs to be reloaded for me to be able to view the content properly. This happens pretty much any time I'm trying to access files through e.g XBMC or any music player a lá Clementine, which forces me to open the file-manager Krusader to reload respective directory and then I'll be able to load the files in above mentioned applications. This band-aid method only works once, though, which forces me to repeat it every time I need to switch directories in the applications.

I've been googling around a bit and the only hints to the issue I've come across is that it might be timeouts that's causing this whole mess. It's also worth mentioning that except this, NFS works fine. During transfers I get what speed I should be expecting and the stability is no issue at all, it's just this bit I've detailed above.

Beans

Re: NFS share content not loading properly

Bumping this as it's causing some major issues for me. Anyone that knows of a possible solution?

Beans

I've been googling this quite a bit and it seems to be a common issue albeit without any proper fix. Anyone that can shed some light on what's going on?

Beans

I just mount the remote share under /media with no_root_squash as an option in the server's /etc/exports.

/etc/exports on server
    Code:
    /media/storage  192.168.0.0/16(rw,no_root_squash,async,insecure)
    /etc/fstab on client
    Code:
    server:/media/storage /media/storage nfs defaults,rsize=32768,wsize=32768  0 0
    I have never had any of the problems you describe, and I've been using this method for years.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I manually edited the necessary files according to your example and it seems to be working now, oddly enough. Prior to manually editing them, I always used Webmin to export/add NFS mounts with the default settings as I was recommended to do by a friend of mine. He never had any issues following those guidelines which was a bit puzzling, but I guess each case is unique.

Thanks for the help, I'm glad to finally have the problem solved.