Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Buntu >= 12.10 work on a Pentium M-CPU without PAE.

Beans

Re: [non-pae] Anybody with an old ThinkPad who wants to do a small experiment?

Quote Originally Posted by megrimm View Post
    So I "think" this is going to work (I have not rebooted yet).. but so far so good:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --remove linux-image-extra-3.5.0-25-generic
    sudo dpkg --remove linux-image-generic
    sudo dpkg --remove linux-generic
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:prof7bit/fake-pae
    sudo apt-get install fake-pae
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-extra-3.5.0-25-generic
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic
    sudo apt-get install linux-generic
    ...and i should be back to normal operating condition.

thanks for all the help!
    m

This worked perfectly for me on an old Toshiba with a Pentium M processor. I had also mistakenly upgraded to 12.10 before installing the fake-pae package. The only thing I had to change was the update command had to happen before the fake-pae install, like this:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --remove linux-image-generic
    sudo dpkg --remove linux-generic
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:prof7bit/fake-pae
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install fake-pae
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-extra-3.5.0-25-generic
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic
    sudo apt-get install linux-generic
    Thanks for the help! I am now happily running 12.10 with a Pentium M processor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just wanted to say thanks to the people in this thread. I was having a similar issue and using the info provided i was able to fix my problem. I had my own thread going before i found this one. Sometimes you search and search, find nothing. Wait a night, get some sleep, and try again.. this time with better success. The below link is to the thread i had going asking for help.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2122715

Beans

It has been a few days but I just wanted to say the steps I took worked fine after a reboot. I'm glad this thread has helped others!
    m

Beans

I have a T41 getting delivered next week that I'll be setting up for someone else. Can anyone advise me on what I should try installing first to have the least number of problems? I was planning on Lubuntu 12.10, but now I'm rethinking that. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by JLeon85 View Post
    I have a T41 getting delivered next week that I'll be setting up for someone else. Can anyone advise me on what I should try installing first to have the least number of problems? I was planning on Lubuntu 12.10, but now I'm rethinking that. Thanks.
    How much RAM will it have? With less than 768 MB, use the alternate iso to install the system, and Lubuntu would be the best choice, because it is lighter. But let's hope there will be at least 1 GB of RAM.

I suggest that you choose between Lubuntu and Xubuntu. To do that, you can download both iso files and try them live (without installing). Let the end user decide which desktop environment to run.

- Lubuntu: Install 12.04, install fake-pae with to 7bit's method in this thread, and upgrade to 12.10.

- Xubuntu: Install 12.04 LTS and keep it, because it will get long time support until April 1215.

Beans

Thanks for the advice. I believe its getting delivered with only 128MB of RAM, but I'm upgrading that right away to 2GB. I figure Lubuntu will fly on that unless the processor gets overwhelmed. I'll probably also throw in a persistent USB of Lubuntu as a backup OS if the hard drive starts to fail.

The fake-pae sounds like it will save me a huge headache. Also, I didn't know it was possible to upgrade one and not the other, but I will give that a try. Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!

Both are possible to upgrade, but due to the LTS, you need not upgrade Xubuntu until April 2015

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Making Buntu >= 12.10 work on a Pentium M-CPU without PAE.

So, summing it up: Status is that a considerable number (but maybe not all) Pentium M CPU's are in fact able to run a new Buntu with PAE kernel.

Searching for the PAE flag, as is done when installing a standard 12.10 / 13.04, is overly conservative, as it leaves out a number of capable CPU's. Setting a fake PAE flag in the output of cpuinfo solves the problem, as can be seen in fake-pae.conf.

As of now the solution works as part of an upgrade of 12.04 or when rescuing a failed 12.10 / 13.04 installation.

How are the chances of making a respin of Lubuntu 13.04 which can be installed right away without upgrading, using scripts or adding PPA's?
    Last edited by mörgæs; April 20th, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    So, summing it up: Status is that a considerable number (but maybe not all) Pentium M CPU's are in fact able to run a new Buntu with PAE kernel.

Searching for the PAE flag, as is done when installing a standard 12.10 / 13.04, is overly conservative, as it leaves out a number of capable CPU's. Setting a fake PAE flag in the output of cpuinfo solves the problem, as can be seen in fake-pae.conf.

As of now the solution works as part of an upgrade of 12.04 or when rescuing a failed 12.10 / 13.04 installation.

How are the chances of making a respin of Lubuntu 13.04 which can be installed right away without upgrading, using scripts or adding PPA's?
    +1

Yes, please, who can do it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My questions is similar to the one above me. How would i go about adding fakepae to the install media or could i install the newer pae kernels without first starting with an older copy. The new ubuntu 12.04.2 ships with the newer pae kernel, but when i first installed 12.04 i used the alternate installer to install the non-pae kernel. Or what if i want to try 13.04? If my question is confusing, then let me know and i will try to clarify. I'm just trying to avoid the install, update, upgrade, then upgrade some more path.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast