I have an ultrabok with 500GB hard drive and 32GB SSD.
I have created a 100GB partition with windows 7 x64 on the HDD and i want to install a linux distro on the 32GB SSD.
This is how i try to install:
- I grabbed the 64-bit .iso of kubuntu(or other distros enumerated below)
- Created a live usb with lili usb creator or gtk-usb-creator
- Booted from usb
- Change booting option to include nomodeset acpi_oso=Linux
- Black screen
I have tried various options added to the grub booting options including nomodeset, acpi_osi=Linux and other i have found on various forums but i still get black screen.
Basically, before the desktop should show up ( all the programs are shown with started network, touchpad etc), I end up with either:
- a completely blank screen
- a blank screen with a NOT blinking cursor on top left side of the screen
I don't know what else to do now
Distros I have tried so far(all x64):
- Mint 14 cinammon
- Mint 14 mate
- Mint 14 xfce
- Mint 13 Cinammon
- Ubuntu 12.10
- LUbuntu 12.10
- KUbuntu 12.10
Same problem on every distro... I'm just stuck now...
I have managed to install Linux Mint 14 Cinammon x64, but it's a bit strange, and it doesn't fully work. Maybe by describing the steps some more experienced user can figure out what the problem is.
- Wait untill the sound of the logging screen to pop
- Press the fn + F1 key to get the laptop into the sleep state
- Start -> The login screen is displayed properly
Any ideas what's going on?
To install I did this:
- Boot from USB
- Edit grub boot menu and add acpi=off
- Wait for system to load
- Close the laptop lid -> wait untill the laptop sleeps
- Open laptop lid -> the desktop is shown properly