Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is upgrading like?

Beans

What is upgrading like?

I'm currently on 10.04 LTS but running out of excuses to not upgrade to 12.04.

What's it like? Will it bork everything?

Will I have to download all the packages and install all my programs again?

I get the impression that it's SUPPOSED to just change the OS, not the packages/file structure, but am I completely wrong about that?

I will back up all the files first, as a matter of course. It's just that I've never updated a Ubuntu before, it keeps asking me to upgrade and I keep putting it off for fear of it going badly.

Beans

Re: What is upgrading like?

It's supposed to work as you described, upgrading the OS and all your programs without borking your data and file system. Ubuntu upgrades tend to be hit or miss, with some users reporting that the process was trouble free while other people have lots of problems.

Off the top of my head, here are a few things you can do to improve your chances of a trouble-free upgrade. The idea being that the closer your 10.04 install is to stock the better things should go.

1) Be sure your Lucid system is up to date and that all upgrades have been done.

2) Uninstall any programs you've obtained from 3rd party repositories and remove or disable the repositories.

3) If you are using a non-standard theme, I'd return to Ambience or Radiance during the upgrade.

4) You may want to do a dry run of Precise from a CD or USB drive to see if there are any driver regressions you'll need to troubleshoot after the upgrade.

5) Back up, back up, back up (at least your home folder and any data partitions you keep). Depending on your system, there may be other configuration files you'd like to back up, such as xorg.conf and/or smb.conf. Config files can be a pain to recreate after an upgrade.
    Last edited by PhilGil; February 8th, 2013 at 05:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I get the impression that it's SUPPOSED to just change the OS, not the packages/file structure, but am I completely wrong about that?
    An upgrade upgrades the entire system, so if any package installed has a newer version it too will be upgraded.

Some packages, like openoffice have been replaced. (Openoffice has been replaced with libreoffice.) Thunderbird is the new default email client. And several others as well.

What an upgrade won't do is mess with any of your stuff in your home folder.

As far as the file structure, 12.04 is basically the same as 10.04 with changes to various files here and there.

If you're going to go for it, my suggestion is to always backup whatever you feel is important, just in case.

Upgrades are pretty reliable though.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

In addition to uninstalling third party software, make sure to uninstall any proprietary hardware drivers -- particularly video drivers.

Not doing so is one of the quickest ways to have a significant emotional event associated with the upgrade.

And I'll repeat this: Back up, back up, back up.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    If you're going to go for it, my suggestion is to always backup whatever you feel is important, just in case.
    +1 - Save yourself some pain, and back up your data on a separate drive

Personally, I have always backed up my data on a separate drive - and then did a fresh install. Some what similar to you, I was cruising along on Debian 6 with Gnome 2. My hardware was starting to show signs of failure - so with new hardware, I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 and copied over my saved data. Quick and easy set up of new hardware and new LTS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

**BACKUP** **BACKUP** **BACKUP**

Did I mention, backup first? Thousands upgrade with no problems. Those that run into problems can be separated into two groups: A mildly frustrated gang who have the luxury of knowing that their data is safe and the worst shape they will be in is being forced to make a clean install (20 minutes). The frantic heart-pounding nail-biting crowd desperately begging this forum for a miracle that will salvage the priceless photos they've lost because they... I'm flogging a dead horse, I know, but I've just tried to help 3 lost souls over the past 2 days trying to recover data from a bad upgrade.

As for the upgrade itself:

1. Are you sure you want Unity? It sounds like you've run the LiveDVD and know what you are getting, but many have used this opportunity to go to Xubuntu or Lubuntu to retain a more traditional DE.

2. Have you considered a clean virgin install? This is the best way to install, in my opinion. You don't inherit any wonky settings, misconfigurations or inappropriate configs from the old system.

3. A clean install also gives you the opportunity to rethink everything from your partitioning scheme to security to the apps you really need.

4. I've gone both routes and have upgraded with no problems whatsoever. However, I always find myself wishing that I'd done clean installs on my upgrades, usually due to various hindsights: should'a made a separate /home partition, should'a deleted half my apps, should'a cleaned up my caches, old kernels, etc.

5. This is just my personal neurosis, but a new install feels like a new baby, or a new toy; an upgrade feels like a used car. I'm just never sure if that wonky video/sound/USB port would have happened had I done a clean install.
    Last edited by DuckHook; February 8th, 2013 at 05:41 AM.

Beans

Thanks guys, you've exactly given the answers I was after and some useful tips too.

FWIW, I intend to back up like crazy. I have had "significant emotional events" before and not enjoyed them or the fire rained down upon me by my lovely wife.

Beans

I'd go as far as using dd to create an image on an external drive in case you have to restore your entire computer back in a snap.

Examples of using the command. (And a warning before doing so.)
    Last edited by pakopako; February 8th, 2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: DD -can- be pretty dangerous

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by evilbrent View Post
    I'm currently on 10.04 LTS but running out of excuses to not upgrade to 12.04.

What's it like? Will it bork everything?

Will I have to download all the packages and install all my programs again?

I will back up all the files first, as a matter of course. It's just that I've never updated a Ubuntu before, it keeps asking me to upgrade and I keep putting it off for fear of it going badly.
    I suggest CLEAN INSTALL of 12.04. The reason being Ubuntu has undergone some major changes since 10.04... (you can read 'release notes' since 10.10 for more info).

And also since you seem like an LTS to LTS guy 20-60mins of your time dedicated to clean install and customizing in 2-5 years shouldn't be a biggie. Plus you may not run into the risks of any conflicting files and packages later. Also LTS to LTS upgrades are time consuming compared to doing a clean install.

My two cents...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

one sunny day two strangers setting at the bus-stop bench started talking to each other:

evilbrent:What is upgrading like?

Forrest Gump: My momma always said, "Upgrading is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
    Last edited by fdrake; February 8th, 2013 at 08:11 AM.

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast