Thread: fan speed control

Beans

fan speed control

This may not be System76 specific, but it is for a Gazelle Pro.

As you may know, the left side gets hot!

Our fan is normally (most of the time) running very slow, and you can't hear it. This is nice, but as you begin to actually work (aka, get off this forum and do your job) it will sporadically run FAST for a few seconds and then slow way down again. This is annoying.

I would like to just run it a little faster, and gradually ramp speed up and down.

Any ideas?

(if anyone knows of a good temperature monitor/screenlet I'd also love that, miss my iStat Pro from the Mac Dashboard)

Beans

Re: fan speed control

I've been looking for something similar so that, while I'm in class, it doesn't rev up; however, I don't think the Sys76 laptop fans can be controlled like that. What I ended up doing was installing a program to control my CPU freq (indicator-cpufreq) in class and tried to edit power consumption to keep the system running as efficiently as possible. Hak5 did a good segment on this (including fan control at 21:10 which didn't work on my laptop).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XloTXFgNL7s

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I know with the gaz6 you can press fn+1 and the fan will kick to high speed until you press fn+1 again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kacey View Post
    I know with the gaz6 you can press fn+1 and the fan will kick to high speed until you press fn+1 again.
    This is specific to our professional systems with dedicated graphics.If it's a GazP7 or later, it won't work.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Why not just post a note on how to control fan speeds on various System 76 models????? Like my Bonobo 5!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    This is specific to our professional systems with dedicated graphics.If it's a GazP7 or later, it won't work.
    Ours is/was a Gazp8 and Fn+1 worked (it's gone back for more warranty - this time the screen quit working )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kend650 View Post
    Why not just post a note on how to control fan speeds on various System 76 models????? Like my Bonobo 5!!
    For systems with discreet graphics (Like your Bonobo), you can press Fn+1 to toggle the fans to full. Other than that, the fan control is completely automatic and there is no user-level control.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Thank you for that information. It was very helpful!!

Beans

I've had this issue as well. Not sure what causes the fan speed to spike when it does, but it happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's normal for the speed to spike up for a moment before going back down, depending on the ambient air temperature. It happens when the system's temperature is right on the threshold between two fan speeds.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!