Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GNOME panel get's a new maintainer

Beans

GNOME panel get's a new maintainer

Jonathan Carter, who also helps maintain Edubuntu, seems to have a very sensible approach to maintaining gnome-panel, metacity, etc:

http://jonathancarter.org/2013/02/05...anel-is-alive/

Of course we'll have to wait for the 13.10 dev cycle to see how things pan out

I'd hope that this, along with the new GNOME Classic session, can once and for all put to rest most of the hand-wringing and rumors
    Last edited by kansasnoob; February 7th, 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNOME panel get's a knew maintainer

Jonathan is one of the two primary Edubuntu maintainers and uses GNOME Fallback as his primary desktop. It's important for Edubuntu that there is a well-supported desktop that works without 3D acceleration for LTSP deployments.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Jonathan is one of the two primary Edubuntu maintainers and uses GNOME Fallback as his primary desktop. It's important for Edubuntu that there is a well-supported desktop that works without 3D acceleration for LTSP deployments.
    In deed

And, as he mentions in that blog post, Edubuntu offers the fallback session as an option during installation:

edubuntu_fallback.jpg

They also have some really cool additional installation options very specific to Edubuntu:

Screenshot from 2012-07-31 12_17_33.jpg

I actually maintain just a few PC's that run Edubuntu and IMHO it's one of Ubuntu's greatest achievements ........... something that's too seldom mentioned

Getting a bit off-topic here but I've even thought our eventual GNOME remix could have a long term goal of offering similar installation options - NOT the choice of using the fallback session - but maybe the choice of using almost 100% GNOME apps vs. using almost 100% Ubuntu default apps on a gnome-session base. But that's a dream that belongs in the long term goal category

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Isn't it more appropriately a gnew maintainer, rather than a knew maintainer.
    Or did you just mean new maintainer?

Sorry!
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post
    Isn't it more appropriately a gnew maintainer, rather than a knew maintainer.
    Or did you just mean new maintainer?

Sorry!
    Yes it should have been "new" .......... I need a new and better brain

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: GNOME panel get's a new maintainer

Fixed.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    This guy, Jonathan Carter, seems to have a very sensible approach to maintaining gnome-panel, metacity, etc:

http://jonathancarter.org/2013/02/05...anel-is-alive/

Of course we'll have to wait for the 13.10 dev cycle to see how things pan out

I'd hope that this, along with the new GNOME Classic session, can once and for all put to rest most of the hand-wringing and rumors
    I am glad to hear this. I think gnome fallback session with metacity deserves to have future. Thanks to the mantainer and thanks to kansasnoob for the information.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Fixed.
    Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree too, i do not know why everyone wants those GPU based desktops, yes they have lot of effects but Gnome Fallback is so easy to use for every people, 95% my Ubuntu installations and quess what....they wanted get rid of Unity and use fallback. So i hope fallback mode will be maintained forever. Even on my i5 desktop fallback is faster than Unity, even power wattage meter shows smaller power usage. Lets hope Ubuntu maintainers will pull fallback in 13.10 repos too because it is needed by lot of people.
    tox.chat, reactos.org

Beans

I am quite happy ATM with Unity and features Compiz provides to me and i liked GNOME 2 era.

GNOME has more features compared to other light (2D) DE's and for sure having "GNOME 2" experience on "GNOME 3" could work in the future for some users that don't want to use Unity or GnomeShell but would like to use GNOME anyway. It would probably be nice if developers working on a lot of similar projects would join forces and then the result would probably be more work done and less burden on one or two developers working on individual projects.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; February 7th, 2013 at 11:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast