Thread: Uninstall Windows Vista

Beans

Uninstall Windows Vista

This has undoubtedly been discussed many times, but I am insecure.

If I dual-boot Ubuntu and all is working well and I like it, am I sure to be OK in installing it and uninstalling Windows Vista, or will I lose anything I think I should have? I use very few programs - internet, e-mail, Works, and photo storage are about all. I don't even have Office.

Beans

Re: Uninstall Windows Vista

Quote Originally Posted by mdrowe View Post
    ...am I sure to be OK in installing it and uninstalling Windows Vista...
    You mean keeping your Linux installation, or re-installing it?

As for what you lose when you install Windows, just remember to save all your files, bookmarks, browser passwords... If you're giving up Windows entirely, you won't even have to bother with program settings (e.g. music-player skins).

Beans

Maybe I am not using the right words. I envision the following:
    Test Ubuntu from a Disk. If I like it:
    Install Ubuntu on hard drive
    Uninstall Windows Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't think there's a way to uninstall Windows. I was dual booting at first but eventually went full time Linux so I just wiped the partition I had Windows on and used it as storage space.

Just make sure you have all the documents, photos, music etc that was on your C: drive copied over into your Linux /home folder.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

First of all, create a Ubuntu CD or USB and boot from it. When appropriate screen is presented choose "Try Ubuntu"... You will get a fully functional Ubuntu to test without installing anything. If you are satisfied with it, meaning check whether all your hardware is recognized and working, see if your internet is working etc...

Then you can (if you so choose) remove Windows and install Ubuntu. There are many guides on how to do this, just google. And Don't forget to BACK UP any important DATA that you may have saved in Windows. You cannot UNINSTALL Windows, you will just have to format the Windows Partition(s) clean. thats all.

If you have any more doubts, feel free to ask.

Good Luck...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

IF, when you're done testing Ubuntu running from the disk, you want to replace Vista with it, all you have to do is reboot from the disk and select the option to use the entire drive.

But ... that will completely erase all of Vista on your PC, including any files, settings, and data.

You're not uninstalling Vista, as much as you are removing it.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.