Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Connecting to a local network from an ubuntu machine (using ssh)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Connecting to a local network from an ubuntu machine (using ssh)

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    You need to clarify what you have on the receiving end. Is it a router? Then the specifics of port forwarding vary depending on both make and model. If you have a more general purpose computer, then you can use ssh all the way through.

Which is it?
    Really i don't know what is my modem a router or not but i think it's a router .

what about snapshots ?

i'm checking your post about the models

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's probably a router, which brand and model is it?

Beans
    Distro

It's probably a router, which brand and model is it?
    Look below but i have a newer version

http://www.huaweidevice.com/br/produ...663&treeId=663

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When you log into it as admin are you able to find where to set the port forwarding? If HG520 is not listed in the site I posted above, you'll either have to dig around yourself or use a paper manual that might or might not have shipped with the unit.

Beans
    Distro

When you log into it as admin are you able to find where to set the port forwarding? If HG520 is not listed in the site I posted above, you'll either have to dig around yourself or use a paper manual that might or might not have shipped with the unit.
    As i told before i found this label : port Mapping

and i read a paper manual and this is what i read :

Code:
     Port Mapping
       a. Introduction
        When NAT is enabled on the gateway, only the IP address on the WAN side is visible externally. When certain services, such as the FTP service, need to be enabled on a computer on the LAN side, the WAN-side port of the gateway needs to be redirected to the FTP port of the computer on the LAN side. Thus, the host on the WAN side can access the host on the LAN side through this WAN-side port.
        b. Operation

You can select between two types of port mapping, that is, Customization and Application.
    For both types of port mapping, you should enter the IP address of the host on the LAN side. In other words, you need to specify the LAN-side host to which the services are mapped through the WAN-side port.
    Interface: It is the interface name of the WAN connection. Protocol: It is the protocol, such as TCP and UDP, supported by port mapping. External port: It is the source port number used by the external network. Internal port: It is the destination port number used by the internal network. Internal host: It is the LAN-side host IP address to which the port is mapped. It is mandatory to set this parameter. External source IP address: It is optional to set this parameter. If you enter the IP address, it indicates that only the WAN-side host with this IP address can be mapped to the LAN-side host through the port. Mapping name: It is mandatory to set this parameter.
    i think that what we are looking for but i don't know what is wrong
    Last edited by Raafat1991; February 7th, 2013 at 07:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah port mapping and port forwarding are two names for the same activity. I couldn't find info for the Huawei HG520 at that site, so you might just have to log into the modem (router) and search for the right settings. What menu are you presented with when you log into the router?

Beans
    Distro

Yeah port mapping and port forwarding are two names for the same activity. I couldn't find info for the Huawei HG520 at that site, so you might just have to log into the modem (router) and search for the right settings. What menu are you presented with when you log into the router?
    i have several options...i gone to advanced and to NAT and port mapping and i added this rule :

Mapping Name Interface Protocol Remote Host External Start Port External end Port Internal Port Internal Host Enable Remove SecureShellServer(SSH)___ WAN5_INTERNET_TR069_R_ATM1_0_35 TCP/UDP 22222 22222 22 192.168.1.2 Enable
    where 192.168.1.2 is my machine and the remote host is empty .
    Last edited by Raafat1991; February 7th, 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Also after typing this command :

Code:
    ssh raafat@myIP -p 22222
    this is what i got :

Code:
    ssh: connect to host 94.99.x.x port 22222: Connection refused

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What about on the inside from within that LAN? Can you connect from another machine on the same LAN to that machine using port 22?

Beans
    Distro

What about on the inside from within that LAN? Can you connect from another machine on the same LAN to that machine using port 22?
    Yes , i did that many times .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast