Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Ubuntu Phone OEM?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

First Ubuntu Phone OEM?

Which company do you think will make the first Ubuntu Phones (for October release) and why?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: First Ubuntu Phone OEM?

I wish it would be Samsung who'd do so, but lately I got the vague feeling that one of the big firms wont settle up to ubuntu since android is actually the best thing out there..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I hope it is huawei. They make good phones at reasonable prices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think it could be Huawei. They already have lots of good Android phones but are desperately trying to grow their marketshare. Trying something new like Ubuntu, with Android phones as their fallback, may be right up their alley.

My other guess is Alcatel-Lucent. Currently with no marketshare and only low-end phones. They are rumoured to be looking at playing with the big boys in mobile and releasing some high-end phones, maybe for the business market, without having to compete head on with Samsung (which is why Canonical is now talking about streaming Windows apps to your phone).
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; February 7th, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Well first of all, I wouldn't count on seeing any OEM mobile devices until 1st Qtr 2014. However, I've been a Samsung fan since I did my first Google search for "largest smartphones available by screen size". So I'm really hoping something happens there. The Galaxy Nexus is already one of the phones presently supported by the dev releases back in February.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nokia could use a decent smart phone.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

huawei phones are not good, they promise a lot and last fro maximum 3 months mate!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I would think probably Samsung. They seem to be trying to get bigger into the market themselves.

Beans

What about Asus?

All their concepts are very similar to what Chanonical wants (bringing down the barriers between phone/tablet/pc)

Beans

It probably should've been Blackberry, but they seem content with sending their brand into obscurity. They've put all their bets on Blackberry OS 10, but the whole world is moving to Android.

I don't see why any company would move from Android to Ubuntu at this stage. Android already has a massive ecosystem on mobile devices, Ubuntu only has a non-functional prototype. It's a no-brainer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast