Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 11.04 Wacom conflict? XrandR fails

Beans

Re: 11.04 Wacom conflict? XrandR fails

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Important information. Looks like the Wacom may be on ttyS1 and is being blocked.
    That can't be right. On this model of laptop, it's always on ttyS4...

Does the irda-utils configuration file let you comment (#) out things?
    ...but after commenting out the entire file, the Wacom works again! (Thank you!)

Let me try a reboot, seeing if irda-utils works with ttyS4.

No dice! SUDO FSCK. Apparently, ANY ttyS I input into "/etc/default/irda-utils" takes out the Wacom (on ttyS4). According to the IrCP Tray:

Code:
    You must edit "/etc/default/irda-utils" and set irattach to start it on boot.

Otherwise, try typing in terminal:

"sudo irattach /dev/ttyS1 -s"

Read the irattach manual for more info.

Ircp Tray will not be able to work.
    ("sudo irattach /dev/ttyS[012345] -s" sadly, does not work)

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me. It seems my tabletPC can use either a Wacom tablet OR the Infrared, but not BOTH. (Unless someone else has a theory on how that could work.)
    Last edited by pakopako; February 8th, 2013 at 04:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Good you have the Wacom working again. That's a little strange that it interferes like that. Not clear to me either what is going on, why irda-utils set at S1 is knocking out Wacom on S4. S1 and S4 aren't on the same IRQ. So it isn't IRQ sharing that is the problem. Do you have to set the ports and IRQs with jumpers?

When the change in port number happened some things that had always been on say port S0 suddenly were on port S4 and so on. But not all of them. Again no documentation I'm aware of to look at.

EDIT: Instead of commenting out the whole configuration file try specific lines and see if one is the problem. Maybe?
    Code:
    SETSERIAL=""
    It seems like port and max baud rate would be logical to try uncommenting first.
    Last edited by Favux; February 8th, 2013 at 06:03 AM.

Beans

Good you have the Wacom working again.
    And I didn't even have to look into modern wacom_serial.ko (and another thread you've started)

That's a little strange that it interferes like that. Not clear to me either what is going on, why irda-utils set at S1 is knocking out Wacom on S4. S1 and S4 aren't on the same IRQ. So it isn't IRQ sharing that is the problem. Do you have to set the ports and IRQs with jumpers?
    Not sure what you mean by "jumpers" -- I'm used to the old jumpers you'd have on motherboards or in the back of IDE drives.

EDIT: Instead of commenting out the whole configuration file try specific lines and see if one is the problem. Maybe?
    I did just that, and what's interesting is that only one line mattered:
    Code:
    # Set discovery mode which usually is a good idea for finding other devices.
    # If set 'true' or 'false' irattach and sysctl are used to enable and disable
    # discovery mode. By default discover mode is disabled.
    DISCOVERY="true"
    If this is set to FALSE, then IrCP-tray does not start, but the Wacom works. I cannot use sudo irattach to enable the infrared.

I've only had a little experience, so looking at the man-pages, I have no idea what compiling the IrDA stack as modules means.

Web-crawling, I've come up on a page where the user is running into the same troubles with the iR port of the same notebook model. Using sudo modprobe ircomm-tty, they (and I) still can't succeed with sudo irattach and IrCP-tray.
    Last edited by pakopako; February 8th, 2013 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Fixed one, but why?

Beans
    Distro

You'd want the wacom_w8001.ko in input-attach anyway. That's the ISDv4 (tablet PC) serio driver. That HOW TO is for serial graphics tablets.

Right. Wondering if there are jumpers on the mother board or somewhere.

When you compile a kernel there is a build file. Zillions of options you set to yes and no or whatever. A kernel driver/module can either be built into the kernel or as a standalone module depending on how you configure the build. From what little you've told me the IrDA stack is built into the kernel and that's why modprobe doesn't work. I seriously doubt it is worth your time to roll your own Ubuntu kernel with the IrDA stack as a module(s).

So what you need is the manual on the configuration file or a README for it that might tell you how to work around the DISCOVERY issue. Otherwise it sort of appears to be a bug with irda-utils.
    Last edited by Favux; February 8th, 2013 at 07:26 AM.

Beans

You'd want the wacom_w8001.ko in input-attach anyway. That's the ISDv4 (tablet PC) serio driver. That HOW TO is for serial graphics tablets.
    Should I be looking into that even though I have a working wacom.ko from xf86-input?

From what little you've told me the IrDA stack is built into the kernel and that's why modprobe doesn't work. So what you need is the manual on the configuration file or a README for it that might tell you how to work around the DISCOVERY issue. Otherwise it sort of appears to be a bug with irda-utils.
    I'll look into that and mark the thread as SOLVED.

If this happens to be a bug, where would I go to report it?

Beans
    Distro

Should I be looking into that even though I have a working wacom.ko from xf86-input?
    No. The xf86-input-driver still has the old ISDv4 serial code (updated). As long as that is working there is no reason to use the serio driver. The dev.s mumble about it and talk about dropping the code. But until they do I think its the better way to go. The serio driver takes some set up with input-attach and so on.

By the way wacom.ko is the Wacom usb kernel driver. So you don't actually need that.

Basically serial tech is obsolete and is being deprecated. But that will take years. Meanwhile development has slowed or ceased on it which is probably the cause of your problems with the IR stuff.
    If this happens to be a bug, where would I go to report it?
    Best would be to find the repository of the upstream irda-utils source code. That would give you the best idea of where to report the bug. I doubt reporting it to the Ubuntu launchpad would be very useful.
    Last edited by Favux; February 8th, 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123