Thread: read-only file system on USB drive

Beans

read-only file system on USB drive

Hello! I don't know if there is this kind of topic already, I couldn't find it, if it exists, please show me. My problem is I have an external USB drive Toshiba (320gb). It worked just fine before, but now I can't write on it because of "read-only file system". This message shows up on both my laptops when I'm trying to do some operations with it. Can somebody help me with that? Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: read-only file system on USB drive

What is the filesystem on it? If you are not sure, plug the drive in and then open a terminal. Post the output of this command:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Also, what is the exact message you get when you try to write to it from Ubuntu?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    What is the filesystem on it? If you are not sure, plug the drive in and then open a terminal. Post the output of this command:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Also, what is the exact message you get when you try to write to it from Ubuntu?
    for this drive output is:
    /dev/sdd1 2048 625137344 312567648+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

and the message is:

an error ocured during creation directory in /media/TOSHIBA EXT

and below this:

error when opening the file in "/media/TOSHIBA EXT/new file": Read-only file system
    (it is not the original messages, it's translation, but meaning is the same)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If Ubuntu detects an unclean filesystem on a FAT32 partition it will mount it read-only. You need to exclude that as a possibility first.

You could use dosfsck in Ubuntu but if that was my drive I would prefer to use chkdsk in Windows. Do you have access to Windows? FAT32 is a Microsoft filesystem so chkdsk is preferable to dosfsck.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've also had this a few times with usb-sticks. It seems that it's not always simple to correct, but as a simple workaround you can always mount it manually in an empty folder with the option umask=0.

To do this, you open a terminal and locate the appropriate device using
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    after which you mount it with
    Code:
    sudo mount -t vfat umask=0 /dev/sd## empty_folder

Beans

Thank you all guys for the help!

Beans

Wink Re: read-only file system on USB drive

I know this is an old thread BUT Google sent me here when searching for this problem, and so I want to leave a solution to others in the future.

For me I did the following (Do this at your own risk).

1. sudo fdisk -l <--- this tells you the device name i.e. /dev/sdc1 or whatever.
    2. umount /dev/sdc1 <--- You MUST unmount the device.
    3. sudo fsck -y /dev/sdc1 <--- Automatically fix any issues.

I had been having more and more problems with this particular USB stick. It was FAT format. I was having occasional copy problems AND more rarely the read only issue. This has fixed all those problems.

I hope this helps someone in the future. May we create good karma by leaving solutions like this!

Best wishes
    Mike