Thread: how to purge kernel - not in dpkg -l , not in synaptic, no by apt-get remove

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question how to purge kernel - not in dpkg -l , not in synaptic, no by apt-get remove

Hi,

I have noticed on virtualbox that in /boot directory are left some files - old kernel:
    initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic (and config , abi , vmlinuz , ... )

I cannot remove / uninstall them using dpkg , synaptic , apt-get purge/remove linux-image-2.6.38-11-generic ... because they simply not showed by those commands ,even after update, It could not locate those packages. How can I remove that kernel 2.6.38-11 ? Do I need to download them separatelly or is there some another solution ? ( I do not want to delete them because update-initramfs could later complain about module trying to assemble them in the next future - which already happened to me.)

thank you,
    kind regards,
    M.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: how to purge kernel - not in dpkg -l , not in synaptic, no by apt-get remove

Hmm, I don't have much experience with this, but it sounds like the files are just some left overs. Otherwise the apt-get remove should do the trick.

In the past there might have been complaints after deleting kernel files directly, but in this case if these files are only left overs it looks OK to delete them with rm.

You can try update-initramfs -u after that, and it should update the initramfs without those files I guess.

Otherwise, since there doesn't seem to be a way to uninstall them, I guess they will always stay there if you don't use rm to remove them.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: how to purge kernel - not in dpkg -l , not in synaptic, no by apt-get remove

Ok,
    I removed them manually and run update-initramfs -u -k all - seems ok for now.