Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome freezes Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Google Chrome freezes Ubuntu

I have the latest Chrome stable....it doesn't freeze on my system but it occasionally seems to hang when it comes to a web page loading in and i never had that problem before with all the various updated versions i have gotten from them, so perhaps this particular version is problematic...

For a possible experiment, perhaps you should try Google Chrome Beta which is in the next version past stable...and see how that does for you, so at least you know if the next version will clear things up...
    If you prefer, download and run it in a live iso session to test it there....(if you do it on live...don't forget to also install ubuntu restricted extras for a proper test with flash and all...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Aha -- I'm not alone in this. For some time I've had the exact same problem, and Chromium was actually worse; it would freeze up the system within minutes of opening it, instead of the hour or two with Chrome. (On an Intel GM965 gfx card.)

I upgraded from 12.04 to 13.04 with the same results. I then re-installed the system, and that seemed to fixed the hard freezes, but it still slows to an unbearable crawl for extended periods of time. Eventually I might get a warning that a tab is non-responsive, but that can take anywhere from 20 minutes to well over 1 or 2 hours. I have been able to get to a terminal, though, since re-installing the system. (What I mean by that is I just used the live USB and re-installed the system files; it wasn't a clean install proper.)

The latest move was to get rid of all the files in ~/.config/google-chrome, which made it still less likely to completely lock up, but it still does. I may try going to the beta version again, but I experienced the same issues there before.

It seems like there's an issue with Chrome gracefully crashing a tab rather than everything. This is strange, because one of the features of Chrome was a runaway tab was supposed to go down on its own without taking down the rest of the browser, let alone the machine (although I'd take the browser crashing over locking up the entire system). I'd love to get to the bottom of this, because there are a few features on Chrome that I find I really miss when I go back to Firefox (and this never happens with Firefox). Plus, when it works, Chrome feels a half-step snappier than Firefox.

But I'm not sure I could file a bug at this point because I don't know where to look for issues (nothing in the logs) or where the problem really exists. The only thing I know for certain is it almost never happens on my desktop machine with the nvidia GeForce 8600GT-DDR3 card, so maybe it's something with the Intel onboard gfx. For now I'm having to break myself of the Chrome habit because it's making browsing nearly impossible.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans

I have the latest ubuntu with chrome on 3 different machines all with different hardware - i hangs on all of them

Beans

I had the exact chrome display crush issue for the last 3 months, and finally I fixed ti totally by install gnome desktop. I guess probably some unity stuff conflict with chrome.

Beans

I have the same problem! Is there a bug open about this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Same problem with latest chrome Version 30.0.1599.114 and on both Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10. It doesn't seem to happen on my laptop which has an Nvidia graphics card.

Beans

Same problem on ubuntu 12.04., both Chrome and Chromium freeze my whole system. I`m with ATI Radeon x1250 graphic card.

Beans

Did this ever get sorted? I am still having a lot of problems. Seems to happen with web pages with significant graphical content. Sometimes with other programs like opening pdf files. Scroll up and down and that is it - Ubuntu freezes and I have to reboot. I can Ctrl-Alt-F1 which closes the graphical interface but I have found no way of reloading Unity to carry on. I always have to reboot. Shotwell used to be terrible - hardly usable - but this improved after the AMD bug fix mentioned below.

The processor is a 3 core AMD which I suppose is unusual. A few months ago everything got a lot better with a major upgrade to fix a bug with AMD processors but things have slipped back again since then. I have Radion 1200 Graphics.

(New edit: Just checked my post by scrolling up and down and the whole machine froze! I am using Firefox right now so cannot blame Chrome.)
    Last edited by Paul91; December 8th, 2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Addition and spelling correction

Beans

For me, Chrome goes to 100% CPU on one of the three machines here. All run Ubuntu 12.04. Two run Gnome shell, one runs Unity. On the one that freezes, it happens with both Gnome shell and Unity. To reproduce it, I need to do the following:
    1. aptitude purge and then reinstall google-chrome-stable and google-talk-plugin
    2. rm -rf ~/{.config,.cache}/google*
    3. start Chrome
    4. log Chrome into my Google account
    5. enter my sync passphrase
    6. wait a few minutes
    7. open the settings menu (three horizontal bars in the top, right corner)

The menu will pop down, Chrome will go to 100%. After that, the mouse will track but Gnome and Unity are otherwise unresponsive. Once I kill -9 chrome, things go back to normal.

Syncing with Google is the bad step. The problem never happens if I don't sync. The problem still happens if I sync with Google but start Chrome with --disable-extensions

I would gladly purge and reinstall something but don't know what package(s) might be the culprit.

-- Art Z.

Beans

Open Chrome, on the url bar type about:flag and play with some settings there. I think it has something to do with hardware acceleration not working right.

I haven't experienced any problem, both with the Nividia driver and nouveau. But then maybe i never use chrome for long duration (mostly on Firefox)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast