Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell goes private

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell goes private

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    Why would Dell buy them(Canonical)? and with Mircosoft money?
    MS loan to Dell will be 2bn $
    Well, it would be ironic.. or a dirty sneaky plan to undermine Linux.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Dell goes private

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Well, it would be ironic.. or a dirty sneaky plan to undermine Linux.
    I'm going with the dirty,sneaky plan option.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who is also exploring Minecraft. Want to join us? Let us know.

http://linuxinternationals.org/

Beans

Embrace, extend and extinguish ...
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It's hard for a large company such as Dell stay in business when most business users can use a computer the size of a USB flash drive. Raspberry Pi will cover 90% of a business user's paperwork needs. The other 10% is easily covered with an Android phone. So where does Dell fit in? Dell Streak? Dell could make small business computers, but there's no money to be made. You can't run Win7 on a Raspberry Pi, (correction: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1222). It's just a matter of time before these small machines take over the business office computing market--and they will be running Linux!
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

This really was just speculative. For fun and to see if someone had a great analytical insight.

The facts are:
    - Microsoft invested $2 billion into Dell. Since Microsoft is not a charity, we know that this is part of the their business strategy. Re their precise intentions: How should I know?

- Some website like Business Insider, ZDNet, or PC World reported that an industry expert "opined" that Dell would buy a services company. Could really mean anything. Or nothing.

Is Microsoft evil? Not really. As Michael Corleone in Godfather II said "It's just business." Is Microsoft a competitor? Undeniably - but again "it's just business".

Before we get carried away with conspiracy theories, Dell has signalled no intention to buy a company like Canonical or even to further develop the server side of its business. So there is no real reason to think Dell will buy Canonical. Of course, anything is possible and speculation exists primarily because the future is unknowable.

At the end of the day, Ubuntu is a community and most of the OS is under the GPL. Even if Mark should get bored one day, someone will just fork it and it will continue under some name or other.

So nothing to worry about

Beans
    Distro

Canonical buys Dell, offers Ubuntu computers with full compatibility! Apple gets nervous.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Dell goes private

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Canonical buys Dell, offers Ubuntu computers with full compatibility! Apple gets nervous.
    I'd get a chuckle out of that for sure.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who is also exploring Minecraft. Want to join us? Let us know.

http://linuxinternationals.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    - Some website like Business Insider, ZDNet, or PC World reported that an industry expert "opined" that Dell would buy a services company. Could really mean anything. Or nothing.
    The big news isn't that Dell are going to buy a services company, they're going to become a services company. They've made no secret of the fact that they don't see their future in shipping boxes, but in providing services. Basically they're looking to pull the same trick Big Blue pulled.

I don't think you'll even be able to buy a Dell-branded PC in 10 years time. They'll probably sell that side of the business to someone else. They might spin it off in pieces, I can see the Alienware brand sticking around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12