Thread: Rhythmbox converts to mp3 @34kbps only

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Rhythmbox converts to mp3 @34kbps only

Hello everyone,

I believe this is a variation on the Rhythmbox CD ripping problem that already has a bug report.

When I try to put an m4a file onto my Sansa mp3 player, Rhythmbox converts it to mp3, but only @34kbps. I would like the option to convert @320, or in FLAC, which is available in Banshee.

If there is a way to choose the bit rate or format that Ryhthmbox converts to, I'd be much obliged if someone could let me know.

99% to full gapless music happiness,

Therieb

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Rhythmbox converts to mp3 @34kbps only

You might be best to use an external program like soundconvertor, then copy to your sansaclip.
    If the m4a file is already a lossy file, like the 256kbps ones you can get off iTunes, it would be pointless converting to flac, as all it would do is increase the file size, with no increase in quality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

or even have some fun with your terminal

cd ~/Music/'here enter name of the folder where your files are'

then to convert [256 can be what YOU wish it to be]

for f in *.m4a; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -b:a 256k "${f%.*}.mp3"; done
    make a folder on desktop with your new files

mkdir ~/Desktop/MP3 && mv *.mp3 ~/Desktop/MP3

and drag files in this folder to your Sansa
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu community ... exchanging tips to make things better .... The World should take heed :]
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro

thank you for the reply Speartip,

I agree that Soundconverter works, but I'd prefer an all in one solution. Banshee accomplishes the task just fine, but the database performance in Rhythmbox is so much better that I'd like to switch. Perhaps I should be focusing on speeding up Banshee...

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your advice Shantiq,

I have used ffmpeg before, but perhaps you can help me with the syntax. Here's what I would like: for some folder "x" please find all files in all sub-folders with the tag .m4a, convert these files to .mp3 @320 with LAME encoding, please do not delete the original .m4a files, also please ignore any other files (.flac, etc), and recreate the same file structure with subfolders in a new folder called "xmp3" or whatever.

Is all of this possible in one or more commands?

The original folder is about 240 gigs, so I imagine my grandchildren may enjoy the new files an around 50 years time.

Thanks in advance, therieb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For recursiveness, you'd have to use find.

Code:
    find . -mindepth 1 -type d -exec bash -c 'mkdir "$0"/mp3s' '{}' \;
    find . -type f -iname "*.m4a" -exec bash -c 'ffmpeg -i "$0" -q:a 2 "$(dirname $(readlink -f "$0"))"/mp3s/"${0%.*}.mp3"' '{}' \;
    This is pretty compacted; if you really wanted to, you could probably squeeze it all into one command-line.

The first find command goes through all directories in the current directory & creates 'mp3s' as a directory within them (try saying that ten times fast).

The second find command finds every *.m4a or *.M4A, and uses ffmpeg to create an MP3 within the directory 'mp3s'. So an input of "/home/you/Music/some band/some song.m4a" will create an output file at "/home/you/Music/some band/mp3s/some song.mp3"
    Last edited by evilsoup; February 6th, 2013 at 06:35 PM.