Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broadcom BCM4311

Beans

Re: Broadcom wireless - need help.

Okay I think I attached the file and I have removed wcid as suggested. Sorry for being such a noob,
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    Hi, copy and paste this command in the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) please:
    Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    It will download a script and create a text file in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time and the Mac address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security, then reply back and attach the netinfo.txt file.

Also please make sure have network manager installed and then remove wicd you can not have both installed at the same time.
    Thanks
    Done!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, please do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
    Then:
    Download the b43 zip file then drag and drop the file to your desktop. Right-click it and select Extract Here. Open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    sudo mv b43/* /lib/firmware
    sudo rmmod -f b43
    sudo rmmod -f ssb
    sudo modprobe b43
    if it does not connect remove the textinfo file in your home folder and run the wireless script again and attach the results.
    Thanks
    Last edited by wildmanne39; February 10th, 2013 at 06:56 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudo rmmod -f ssb
    sudo modprobe b43[/CODE
    if it does not connect remove the textinfo file in your home folder and run the wireless script again and attach the results.
    Thanks
    I cannot get past sudo rmmod -f ssb it keeps giving me "ERROR: Removing 'ssb': Resource temporarily unavailable..

Sorry for being such a pain...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, I suspect it is because your ehternet is also using that module, why don't you disable it and try the commands again.
    Thanks

Beans

Question Re: Dell D430,Broadcom BCM4311, wireless not working

Hello! I am completely noob to Ubuntu as I have been using them only for a couple of days now...
    First of all thank you all in advance for your time and help! the forum is great!
    I have a Latitude D430 and after installing 12.10 I cannot use the wifi. I followed several threads witout success unfortunately.
    I tried to remove all drivers, disabled the STA drivers from software sources and load b43 but it does not seem to work.
    At one point I had kernel module ssb with kernel driver b43 but that did not work.
    Also rfkill command returns nothing in terminal and I have played around with blacklist config but no success either.
    I have synaptic manager installed, tried to remove wl and b43 and reinstall bcmwl kernel source wtih STA common, STA source but no success.
    Then uninstalled STA common STA source and loaded dkms but did not work either....
    Ethernet working good and I have internet access. However, in Desktop and at the network bar/sign wirelless is not a listed (i.e. not selection, hotspots nothing )
    I can see that there is a battle of drivers happening and the issues with conflict but I am probably missing too many info and data...
    Hence, please help!! I have restored bcmwl, activated the STA driver in software sources and there seem to be no driver at the moment.

here are the current lspci -vnn results

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:0007]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    Memory at efdfc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel modules: wl, ssb

I have also updated to 3.0.5.-18 ..or something near

Thank you very much!!
    I greatly appreciate your help to save the laptop

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Broadcom BCM4311

Hi, please do..
    Code:
     sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    sudo modprobe b43
    thanks
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce

Beans

Talking Re: Broadcom BCM4311

Quote Originally Posted by Hadaka View Post
    Hi, please do..
    Code:
     sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    sudo modprobe b43
    thanks
    Hi! That is amazing! Thank you a lot! Followed your instructions and wireless is up and running.
    However after reboot I had to repeat sudo modprobe b43 to make it work again. Otherwise it was in the same state with before...
    Do you know how could I solve that problem? It is not much to write the command every time but it would be nicer
    not follow the same drill every time ! Should I blacklist or remove something?
    It seemed that I was missing the linux firmware non free bit...If it is not a big trouble could you drop me a line what your commands did and what was the issue?
    I am really keen to learn something new and understand bit better how things are working
    lspci -vnn now reads:
    0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:0007]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    Memory at efdfc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
    Kernel modules: ssb

I had the same before without result...so I guess the firmware made the difference..

Thank you very much for your help! please let me know if there is a way not to have to modprobe b43 every time I reboot
    Really happy that there is a solution after all...and such a fast and short one..so great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12