Thread: AVG Antivirus for Ubuntu

Beans

AVG Antivirus for Ubuntu

Hello everyone,

I have been reading about viruses in Linux and I am not really sure if this is something to worry about or not. Anyway, I have installed AVG antivirus on Ubuntu and I got the following output

Code:
    Files scanned     :  0(0)
    Infections found  :  0(0)
    PUPs found        :  0
    Files healed      :  0
    Warnings reported :  0
    Errors reported   :  1
    My question is: how to know which file has been infected?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: AVG Antivirus for Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by latvian View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have been reading about viruses in Linux and I am not really sure if this is something to worry about or not. Anyway, I have installed AVG antivirus on Ubuntu and I got the following output

Code:
     Infections found  :  0(0)
    PUPs found        :  0
    Files healed      :  0
    Warnings reported :  0
    Errors reported   :  1
    My question is: how to know which file has been infected?
    No files have been infected.

You could look in the AVG logs to see what the error was.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

You also scanned no files either.
    Code:
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It appears there was some error preventing the scan from starting.

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about viruses. Most Linux users don't use a virus scanner, except when they share a lot of files with windows (and that only to protect windows).

Beans

Virus on Linux? Is it even possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by takuie View Post
    Virus on Linux? Is it even possible?
    I have never seen one credible post about a Linux virus in these forums in the time I have been on them since 2005.

The only posts on the subject seem to be from panicky Windows users who don't understand that 99.9% of all the rubbish in the media about all malware only applies to that platform.

The biggest security issue in Linux are stupid users using insecure third-party repositories and installing software that has no guarantee of what it does or where it actually comes from.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was going to write an analogy of "Why would you treat a steel fence for termites" but if a little knowledge is dangerous, maybe a lot of knowledge will be beneficial.

The facts regarding Linux viruses are:

1. Although the Wikipedia page lists about 40 viruses which have appeared on Linux at some point in time, none of them are in the wild and none of them would even work on a modern Linux system.

2. You may be thinking "forty viruses in 22 years of Linux - that's nearly two per year". Let's compare that to an estimated 10,000 pieces of Windows malware per year.

3. Most of those forty Linux viruses came about in Linux's early days; I can only remember two Linux "viruses" from 2005 onwards. In other words, the rate of virus writing for Linux has slowed dramatically.

3. Only a tiny, teeny, miniscule percentage of Linux users have ever seen a Linux virus. It must be less than 1%.

4. The last Linux "virus" was actually a trojan horse. It infected maybe a couple of hundred people. Maybe up to a thousand.

5. The website that inadvertently hosted the trojan (which you had to download and install as root) removed the trojan within a couple of days. No further infections occurred - the trojan was not self-replicating.

6. Within a week, the payload was removed from the author's website, rendering the trojan entirely useless even for existing infections or new infections (had there been any).

7. As far as I'm aware, the only anti-virus program that can detect the trojan is ClamAV - the other vendors like AVG didn't even bother.

8. Although Linux is a high-value target for malware (financial systems worldwide run mostly on Linux), it's very difficult to write a decent piece of malware for Linux due to its ever-increasing level of security.

So there you have it - your AVG is useless for picking up Linux viruses. There's just nothing for it to find anywhere, and even when anyone manages to write a virus it never spreads to more than a handful of Linux users.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to "Security Discussions".
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans

TAKUIE

Is linux prone to viruses? - Virus on Linux? Is it even possible? YES, ABSOLUTELY
    Do you need an antivirus? NOT REALLY

LATVIAN AND TAKUIE
    Here it is.

Who understands the ubuntu codes better and faster than the original programmers themselves?
    THINK OF IT AS THE PROGRAMMERS RACING AGAINST THEIR ADVERSARY.

There are perhaps hundreds of programmers working together,merging their codes and there is a handful of malicious virus writers working individually with the time on their hands. The result, the updates come out quicker than the virus can be written.

Viruses are written to exploit and take advantage of security gaps missed by the programmers while they focused on functionality [getting it to work and be compatible for wider range of use]. In essence, by the time the virus is completed and released, the update has already patched it rendering the virus useless.

The only reason to really use an antivirus is if the programmers stop reviewing their codes and releasing the updates. Even an antivirus company cannot understand the codes faster than the programmers otherwise the antivirus company can write the viruses themselves, release the virus then make money from selling you the antivirus.

IF UBUNTU BECOMES WIDELY EXPLOITED BY VIRUSES IT CAN ONLY MEAN ONE OF TWO THINGS:
    1.) THE PROGRAMMERS HAVE STOPPED/SLOWED DOWN REVIEWING THEIR CODES AND RELEASING THE PATCHES
    2.) THE PROGRAMMERS THEMSELVES ARE WRITING THE VIRUS [they will have to look internally for the devious one amongst them]
    Last edited by conquerorodueko; February 6th, 2013 at 09:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I've used my system for file backup a couple of times. Especially if I've had to make backups from an infected machine.
    Antivirus on my linux box isn't so much about having my machine execute the code as it is finding infected code on another OS.

Every so often, ClamAV or Avast has found a trojan or virus hidden in an archived tmp folder from another user's Internet Explorer cache.
    Well, ClamAV anyway. Avast has errored out since somewhere around 11.10.

Clamtk will list problem files in View > Manage Histories and in Quarantine > Status/Maintenance.
    I don't remember Clam allowing me to clean a file, so much as giving me the file name and location and just letting me delete it outright.

Either way, it's more about keeping files clean for others than executing code on my own machine.
    And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick: "rational thinking."
    But, when you're good and crazy? Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! The sky is the limit!