Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    80
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Exclamation How can I fix my NTFS partition?

    Hi All,

    In attempting to shrink my NTFS drive to a smaller size, so I can dual boot my currnet Windows 7 with a brand new Ubuntu 12.10 (didn't want to use Wubi), I've somehow managed to stuff up the drive and what Windows can see.

    Essentially, after shrinking it with a partition manager, Windows blue screens upon restarting. I shrank it while Windows was running (which is valid to my surprise, according to many Windows 7 & 8 dual boot HOW-TOs), and it said to restart to finish off the process.

    Other partition managers I burnt to an ISO say it's a raw format. Ubuntu *trumpets blare* to the rescue; the live CD said I can see your NTFS partition sure no problem.

    SO. Here's my issue. I'd like to recover my drive, so that Windows can boot again. Whether I then format or not, I'd like to get Windows running so I can do things like run steam and properly back-up... run other programs that can't just be copied over.

    How do I fix my NTFS partition from an Ubuntu Live CD?

    I've tried so far:
    • ntfsfix /mount/point/31415: Runs & exits fine; have tried with all parameters
    • ntfs-label /mount/point/34154 NEW_LABEL: Said sure no problem. Hasn't helped.
    • fsck /mount/point/3115: Said it can't find/run fsck.ntfs. I can't find that package either.

    Help would be greatly appreciated!! I'll update this description with clarifications as they come.
    [mEo!]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Beans
    2,251

    Re: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

    Ubuntu will not be able to properly repair your NTFS drive. It is using NTFS-3G which is a compatible enough to function and read the drive, but not manipulate it the way you need it to.

    You will need to repair your windows installation with your Windows disk. Does your blue screen say what file is actually missing? Can you boot into safe mode? To get to safe mode, rapidly tap the F8 key either immediately after the BIOS, or selecting Windows from ubuntus boot menu.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    80
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

    Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    You will need to repair your windows installation with your Windows disk. Does your blue screen say what file is actually missing? Can you boot into safe mode? To get to safe mode, rapidly tap the F8 key either immediately after the BIOS, or selecting Windows from ubuntus boot menu.
    Unfortunately Windows doesn't even register there's an installation there, nor does it detect it as being a NTFS drive.

    I've tried to use the Windows 7 recovery tools, including running chkdsk over the drive, but it doesn't mount it, nor can it browse it.
    [mEo!]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Beans
    2,251

    Re: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesena View Post
    Unfortunately Windows doesn't even register there's an installation there, nor does it detect it as being a NTFS drive.

    I've tried to use the Windows 7 recovery tools, including running chkdsk over the drive, but it doesn't mount it, nor can it browse it.

    Ah.. thats because the windows Master Boot Record is no longer there. When you installed Ubuntu, GRUB overwrote the MBR.
    The windows disk checks the MBR the the existence of a windows installation.

    Well, here is what I would do.

    Try safe mode
    Read the blue screen to see what info you can pull from it to diagnose whats happening

    Make a windows live cd. Google it.
    You can boot Windows XP from the cd rom and repair the ntfs partition from there.
    You will probably need a windows machine to make the disk so hopefully you have a friend or another computer

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    80
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

    Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    Ah.. thats because the windows Master Boot Record is no longer there. When you installed Ubuntu, GRUB overwrote the MBR.
    I haven't actually installed Ubuntu yet; I'm only running off the live CD. Windows DOES attempt to boot, but it then blue screens during the start-up process. I'll try and read it tonight, but as usual, blue-screens are too fast & flicker.

    The windows disk checks the MBR the the existence of a windows installation.

    Well, here is what I would do.

    Try safe mode
    Read the blue screen to see what info you can pull from it to diagnose whats happening

    Make a windows live cd. Google it.
    You can boot Windows XP from the cd rom and repair the ntfs partition from there.
    You will probably need a windows machine to make the disk so hopefully you have a friend or another computer
    Have another laptop I can try and make this with, but I'm hoping there's another way I can recover the boot information. I'm surprised it gets as far as it does, it comes up with the logo and starts the orbs swirling etc. then blue screens.
    [mEo!]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Beans
    2,251

    Re: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

    Have you attempted Safe Mode?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    1

    Arrow Re: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesena View Post
    Hi All,

    In attempting to shrink my NTFS drive to a smaller size, so I can dual boot my currnet Windows 7 with a brand new Ubuntu 12.10 (didn't want to use Wubi), I've somehow managed to stuff up the drive and what Windows can see.

    Essentially, after shrinking it with a partition manager, Windows blue screens upon restarting. I shrank it while Windows was running (which is valid to my surprise, according to many Windows 7 & 8 dual boot HOW-TOs), and it said to restart to finish off the process.

    Other partition managers I burnt to an ISO say it's a raw format. Ubuntu *trumpets blare* to the rescue; the live CD said I can see your NTFS partition sure no problem.

    SO. Here's my issue. I'd like to recover my drive, so that Windows can boot again. Whether I then format or not, I'd like to get Windows running so I can do things like run steam and properly back-up... run other programs that can't just be copied over.

    How do I fix my NTFS partition from an Ubuntu Live CD?

    I've tried so far:
    • ntfsfix /mount/point/31415: Runs & exits fine; have tried with all parameters
    • ntfs-label /mount/point/34154 NEW_LABEL: Said sure no problem. Hasn't helped.
    • fsck /mount/point/3115: Said it can't find/run fsck.ntfs. I can't find that package either.

    Help would be greatly appreciated!! I'll update this description with clarifications as they come.



    I faced same problem while installing ubuntu.
    Boot using WindowXp cd.. continue till partition process, soon after partition-exit the setup... Your memory will be back.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinay Kumar D View Post
    I faced same problem while installing ubuntu.
    Boot using WindowXp cd.. continue till partition process, soon after partition-exit the setup... Your memory will be back.
    First, the OP didn't even start installing ubuntu. This was done by the windows partitioning program.

    Second, if you start the windows installer and write new table/partitions, you will lose all data on the disk even if you don't continue installing XP. The OP doesn't want that.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    12,582

    Re: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinay Kumar D View Post
    I faced same problem while installing ubuntu.
    Boot using WindowXp cd.. continue till partition process, soon after partition-exit the setup... Your memory will be back.
    The OP said they are using Win7. You do NOT want to mess around with Win7 filesystem partitions using an XP CD.

    To the OP: What you can try (which probably will not work -- but you never know) is using a Windows PC to download and burn the Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD. Boot from that and see if it will let you select the Recover Partition option -- and if that works, you should be OK.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Beans
    2,251

    Re: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    The OP said they are using Win7. You do NOT want to mess around with Win7 filesystem partitions using an XP CD.

    To the OP: What you can try (which probably will not work -- but you never know) is using a Windows PC to download and burn the Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD. Boot from that and see if it will let you select the Recover Partition option -- and if that works, you should be OK.

    Unless you know something I don't, there is no reason that windows XP cannot safely manipulate a windows 7 partition. The NTFS file system structure has not changed in a very long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •