Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I disable recovery mode?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Should I disable recovery mode?

Great, it worked. Thanks, Cheesemill!
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.
    As for the OS X forums, I wouldn't know, I'm too poor.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I haven't had the opportunity to Test anything yet, sorry. I'll try to do that sometime this week, but I felt inclined to tell you guys.
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.

Beans
    Distro

Alright! I changed my password via recovery mode using the aforementioned article, but I can confirm that when I booted back in, when I entered the correct password, The login screen simply refreshed! Once I went back into recovery mode and changed my password back, I was able to log in normally!

Good call collisionystm, and thank you everyone for your thoughts. I feel much safer knowing that someone can't access my encryped /home through recovery mode, so I think I'll leave it on. I should have known that ubuntu wouldn't be that easy to crack!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyWithTheFace View Post
    Alright! I changed my password via recovery mode using the aforementioned article, but I can confirm that when I booted back in, when I entered the correct password, The login screen simply refreshed! Once I went back into recovery mode and changed my password back, I was able to log in normally!

Good call collisionystm, and thank you everyone for your thoughts. I feel much safer knowing that someone can't access my encryped /home through recovery mode, so I think I'll leave it on. I should have known that ubuntu wouldn't be that easy to crack!

Cool!

Thanks for taking the time to test it out!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    Cool!

Thanks for taking the time to test it out!
    It's the least I can do after the help you guys have provided.

Beans

Just an aside, but removing the GRUB entry for recovery mode won't block anyone from accessing single-user mode. If you can force the GRUB menu, for instance by holding down Shift while rebooting, you can edit the "kernel" entry and add "S" to the list of kernel options. That will boot into single-user mode and let you change the password.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

well, one more reason not to disable recovery mode...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12