Thread: Os for PS3?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Os for PS3?

Hello all.

I would like to know if there is a officially supported operating system that will allow me to run a actual "desktop" computer from my PlayStation 3. It HAS to keep the ps3 os on it so i still have a pas and not a crappy desktop.

I have found something but i dont think that it is official.

I need it to be official.

THX

Beans

Re: Os for PS3?

Quote Originally Posted by joco1500 View Post
    Hello all.

I would like to know if there is a officially supported operating system that will allow me to run a actual "desktop" computer from my PlayStation 3. It HAS to keep the ps3 os on it so i still have a pas and not a crappy desktop.

I have found something but i dont think that it is official.

I need it to be official.

THX

To my knowledge there is no 'official' anymore. Sony dropped 'OTHER OS' support right around the time the PS3 slim came out. So its been a few years.
    The only way to get it on your PS3 is with a hack.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I haven't heard of any "official" way to run a desktop on a PS3. You used to be able to install *nix on one, but I believe they removed that capability.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Awhile ago linux was officially supported. Unless you haven't upgraded your firmware in quite some time then you won't be able too anymore. I had it before and it wasn't worth it imo.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Awhile ago linux was officially supported. Unless you haven't upgraded your firmware in quite some time then you won't be able too anymore. I had it before and it wasn't worth it imo.
    did it actually run ok?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ACubed10 View Post
    did it actually run ok?
    it was kinda slow but i guess you could call it ok. i only booted it up 2 or 3 times the entire time i had it on there. that ps3 has since broken and i bought the model that never supported it to begin with
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

I believe the most common linux that everyone ran on the PS3 was, Yellow Dog Linux

Beans

I'm still trying to figure this out with my PS3, which is on 3.55... There's CFW (must be on 3.55 or lower > Jailbreak) that patches lv1 with OtherOS, but doesn't actually install OtherOS so it shows in settings.

This week has been a cluster**** of 404s, you wouldn't believe- EVERY link to anything potentially helpful is dead. So even if I or you actually figure out exactly how to install Linux these days, the links to files we'd need would be dead.

As I understand it though: On 3.55 > Jailbreak > Install Rebug 3.55 OtherOS++ > format HDD for OtherOS > install OtherOS via the option in settings on Rebug 3.55 OtherOS++ > profit.

But all 10 or so links to Rebug 3.55 OtherOS++ are dead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Apart from tinkering fun, why would you want to? Even when it was supported, the PS3 was a very poor Linux computer. Low RAM, no graphics acceleration and no Blu-ray support.

If you want to surf the web, the PS3 itself can do that. If you want to do anything else, you're much better off with a second-hand netbook or something.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Im sure sony make a "linux for ps3 disk". Although to my knowledge they stopped sporting it on ps3 slim and above. The distro is ok but no where neer perfect.