Thread: 12.10 ATI Dual Monitor Performance and Tearing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

12.10 ATI Dual Monitor Performance and Tearing

After I figured out that in order to install ATI drivers on 12.10 I needed to install the kernel headers, I have my system up and running. However, with the dual monitors I get very slow performance for UI rendering and very odd screen tearing behavior. Does anyone know what can be done to fix this?

I have tried the fglrx, fglrx-updates, and download and install of 13.1 from ATI's website, all produce the same screen tearing and performance behavior, so it is obviously a driver issue.
    Note: This issue goes away if I disable one of the monitors.

My desktop isn't terrible specs:
    2.6 ghz Core 2 Quad
    8 gb ram
    SSD
    ATI 5870
    2 24" Monitors

I have a Zenbook, and I can see the difference performing the same operations on each, the zenbook is lightyears ahead in terms of the graphics performance, which should not be the case.

Thanks.

PS Please don't suggest I buy an Nvidia card...because Ive been kicking my self for switching to ATI to try out eyefinity. I might end up having to do that.

Beans

Re: 12.10 ATI Dual Monitor Performance and Tearing

I think I saw that the 13.2 Beta drivers are out -- you could try using those.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 12.10 ATI Dual Monitor Performance and Tearing

I will give that a try...I reinstalled 12.04 on my desktop for now. I'll put it on another harddrive and give those a try. AMD has been sucking even more lately with drivers supporting x1.13