Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Video Driver Problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    20

    Video Driver Problems

    Hi,

    I've been using Ubuntu 13.04 for two weeks and it was running great.
    Yesterday I had the stupid idea of installing nvidia-310 drivers and everything went bad.
    I managed to access the terminal and I ran these commands to uninstall nvidia-310 and install nouveau:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf #if file does not exit is OK#
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-common ubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    After this my laptop was at least usable, my it's not like it was before the nvidia driver installation.
    Mostly I have some mouse pointer flickering that is really annoying.

    How can I configure Ubuntu video drivers like it was in the original setup?

    PS: I'm in a laptop with Intel integrated HD4000 and a nVidia GT650M.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by chenriques; February 5th, 2013 at 11:28 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    20

    Re: Video Driver Problems

    I think the problem is with my xorg.conf file.
    Anyone knows the correct config?

    I'm using the nouveau driver, nvidia GT650M, 1920x1080 resolution.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Beans
    2,455
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Video Driver Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by chenriques View Post
    I think the problem is with my xorg.conf file.
    Anyone knows the correct config?

    I'm using the nouveau driver, nvidia GT650M, 1920x1080 resolution.
    You do not need a xorg.conf file nowadays anymore.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    11,143

    Re: Video Driver Problems

    For reference, installing the nvidia driver directly on an Optimus system is much more likely to result in borkage than 3D bliss. Here's how you do it (but PPA is not made for Raring yet, so don't do this now): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

    Can you post /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    20

    Re: Video Driver Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    You do not need a xorg.conf file nowadays anymore.
    But the system is still processing this file, because if I change it's content something happens..


    Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    For reference, installing the nvidia driver directly on an Optimus system is much more likely to result in borkage than 3D bliss. Here's how you do it (but PPA is not made for Raring yet, so don't do this now): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

    Can you post /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?
    Before installing nvidia-310 (with RR fresh install) everything was working perfectly.
    When I get back to home I'll post that file. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Beans
    2,455
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Video Driver Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by chenriques View Post
    But the system is still processing this file, because if I change it's content something happens..
    ...
    I didn't say the system would not be using it.
    It does use it, if it exists. And if there are errors in that file, the system will suffer.
    But, the system will automatically detect drivers and use appropriate settings without the xorg.conf file too.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    20

    Re: Video Driver Problems

    Attached Xorg.0.log (compressed in zip file).

    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    11,143

    Re: Video Driver Problems

    It's using a generic frame-buffer driver when it should be using intel. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what you did to get it to behave like that. You did delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, correct?

    Also, is there a reason you're using Ubuntu 13.04? It would be a lot easier for you if you used Ubuntu 12.10 and followed the bumblebee instructions...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    1,835
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Video Driver Problems

    On my Lenovo laptop which I dual boot, I ended up disabling Optimus. Seems to be more trouble than its worth. Even Windows seems to be better off running the Nvidia driver all the time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    11,143

    Re: Video Driver Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    On my Lenovo laptop which I dual boot, I ended up disabling Optimus. Seems to be more trouble than its worth. Even Windows seems to be better off running the Nvidia driver all the time.
    Running everything with the nvidia GPU will decrease battery life...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •